FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dead alive?

Author Topic: Dead alive?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
No, this is not a thread on Peter Jackson.

With Dawn of the Dead coming out I think about what if it really happened.

I think so many movies and shows get it all wrong. Sure, there were be panic in the beginning, but after a short time the government and military would get into full gear and we would contain the situation.

I think the remake of Night of the Living Dead got that down very well. Sure, the first few weeks are hell, lots of fire and death, and civilization shuts down for a bit, but then the survivors come out of the house to find the authorities in command of the situation.

Maybe it's just my facination with great falls: falls of kings and nations and governments. That's why I liked Titanic so much...because it was a microcosm of the end of the world. How would people and society react to that? Also why Deep Impact was ten times better than Armaggedon.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
"Guns. We'll need lots of guns."
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
No, This is why Deep Impact is better than Amageddon. The same reason getting shot in the head is better than dying of small pox.

Armageddon
Runtime: 144 min / USA:153 min (director's cut)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/

Deep Impact
Runtime: 120 min
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/

It's over quicker.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
And flame-throwers.

But not flame-throwers that shoot chocolate hundred dollar bills, 'cause those probably aren't very effective against zombies.

Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And bullets. Remind me not to make Slash the quartermaster of my resistance army.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I was quoting Neo, and the quote does not include ammo.

However, in reality, my first stop after the dead rise is a gun store to grab every firearm and box of ammunition in sight.

Then I might commandeer an armored brinks truck. That should be fairly zombie proof, with convenient firing ports.

Finally, since I am not the main character, I know I am going to get eaten. I only hope to be the tough guy that gets to take a ton of zombies out with him. I hope the main character sheds a tear when I finally go down.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I know where the quote comes from. I still think my joke was funny. [Razz]

And your plan sounds good, especially the amored car. Assuming the zombies have standard zombie powers, then I'd guess shotguns would be the best weapons.

Or grenade launchers.

I always thought lye would be good, too.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
a Desert Eagle .50AE might come in handy as well, and a good ol' fashioned Colt 1911 seems to do ok for stopping power...

Slash, be sure and come up with a good series of lines so the audience cares. I think a character study of Hudson, from Aliens is in order...

"Game over, man..."

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
If the dead were to rise, I think the worst thing that'll happen is a movement for zombie marriage. They would be seen as different because of their inability to procreate and drooping flesh. Many people would point to some verse in the Bible as proof that zombies shouldn't marry, but explain, in as vague words as possible, that nobody's withholding their sex - only the meaning behind it, to which the only intelligent reply would be a roll of the eyes. Propponents would find some obscure study that says, in as biased a pro-zombie way as possible, there's a slight possibility that Zombihood may be genetic, assuming the planets are in their correct correlation with a little-known galaxy's sun. This too would would invoke eye-rolls.

This controversy would be followed by war - first with words, then with bullet-equipped guns, flamethrowers, grenade launchers, and full moons. After it is discovered that full moons (a) can't be trapped and used as ammunition and (b) are less effective for zombies than they were for trolls in the late 1200s, a new addition to political correctitness (known in the future as "peeseeity") will be submitted. A certain month of the year, probably Octember or Aune, will be reserved for the remembrance of zombies past (and present, of course, as they never die). The NAAUNN (The National Association for the Advancement of Undead Not-Nightmares) will push for every, single commercial, movie, and television program to include at least one zombie, to the point where it becomes a triviality.

Luckily for people (and zombies) living (so to speak) fifty years from then, the trivialities will make for the best, dang, version of Trivial Pursuit ever concocted.

Or they might just eat our brains.

[ March 17, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
tee hee!

Ok I'm off! See you all tomorrow!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.