FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Neal Stephenson's site is up.

Author Topic: Neal Stephenson's site is up.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.nealstephenson.com/

Natch.

For those that care.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
i'm like 200 pages into Quicksilver right now.

it's tougher for me to get into than Cryptonomicon. And it think it's because it doesn't jump between characters like in crypto. i liked going from some interesting technical stuff with waterhouse to the adventure stuff with shaftoe and eventually goto dengo. this is all one character or story line, and then i guess shaftoe comes later.

still great though.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I just found out Quicksilver came out, like, two days a go. I'm getting it on Friday. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Storm.

I digs me some Neal.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Neal Stephenson, but I barely made it through Quicksilver. There are just too many references to people and places I don't know and couldn't keep track of. I'm definitely going to reread sometime, with the hope that it'll be more comprehensible the second time around.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
What's scary about Stephenson's books is that so much is plausible because of the amount of historical research he does.

BTW, his MetaWeb thing sounds really frequin' interesting, but I don't know how he's going to police it. And if a lot of people start adding to it and editing it, how's he going to find editors willing to comb through all that crap and not even get paid for it?

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

So far, the posts to metaweb are pretty erudite.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. So does it only depend on the kinds of people who are attracted to the site? Is that good enough?
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.