FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 200 Year Old--No Reciept, No Return

Author Topic: 200 Year Old--No Reciept, No Return
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday was 200 years since a deal was struck between Thomas Jefferson and Naploleon.

In exchange for some cash to keep Napoleon's army in the black, the US got a large chunk of the North American Continent.

Of course, this was a chunk belonging to Spain, but Spain was a puppet of Napoleon so they agreed.

The natives, who's property had just been sold out from under them, did not get a chance to comment on the deal.

Yesterday, the cheif of the Osage Nation, who claims 95% of his people died as a result of this sale, along with the Spanish Ambassador and the French Ambassador came to my city and honored the occasion.

It was the French Ambassador who was the most interesting. He described the sale as a great investment for France. The money may have quickly vanished into the wars of Napoleon, but by giving the land to the young US, we were able to grow food that would feed the world, and brave men who would later die for France's freedom. He proclaimed that France will never forget those sacrifices.

The Spanish Ambassador was given a minute of silence for those killed by the train bombings.

On how history comes around, IIRC much of that money that Napoleon recieved went to pay for troops to stop a bloody revolution in the small country of Haiti.

Hatian slaves, outnumbering there masters at several hundred to one, were tired of the brutal living conditions, and inspired by the revolutions in France and the US, ousted their owners.

It was not pretty.

Napoleon, hearing the Hatian leader clame to be the Napoleon of the west, sent an army to retake Haiti.

France lost.

Yet the cost to Haiti was enormous, to the point that the following peace treaty was the first time in known history where the winning side paid reparations to the losers.

Kind of like the US rebuilding Iraq.

The revolution was so bloody that many US Slave owners began fearing that it would spread, and that all slave freeings would result in massacares of the owners. This fed the paranoia of the south whenever abolition was mentioned, and may be one of the causes for the civil war, and ongoing racial tensions.

History is not linear. History is a net.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I always learned that the Louisiana Purchase happened in 1803...wouldn't that make it 201 years this year?

link1
link2
link3

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so they are doing this in conjunction with the 200 anniversary of the Lewis & Clark expodition.

Linky 4

[ March 16, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean expedition?

Dude, I was just on Neal Stephenson's Metaweb site and it lets you edit other people's posts! I would so love to be able to correct all the spelling/typo problems I see and have mine corrected as well!

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yet the cost to Haiti was enormous, to the point that the following peace treaty was the first time in known history where the winning side paid reparations to the losers.

Kind of like the US rebuilding Iraq.

But totally different.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.