FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's Pi Day!

Author Topic: It's Pi Day!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*serves pie*

It's March 14, and in about ten minutes (in Utah anyway) it will be the Pi Moment at 3/14 1:59. pretty cool, huh?

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I need ideas, and FAST, for Pi Day tomorrow. I am doing a circumference-finding activity for math, buying a circular cake to cut, but what for English and social studies? It is too late to get the fabulous book "The Mathematician Who Measured the World," about Eratosthenes.

Any links or quick ideas are welcome. These are at-risk kids, and they are motivated by activity, but can't handle too much of it. It has to be a free thinking activity in a highly structured framwork.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
English - homophones seem a natural. Write a story where somebody keeps getting pi mixed up with pie!

Social studies - examine how the symbol for pi is universal - you could talk about symbols and how they work even if you don't know the language

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Cool, Jenny, thanks.

Then there is the whole earth itself. We could measure angles of shadows, like good old Eratosthenes.

Hmm. I could do Pi Week!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it's only 25 more minutes here! 3/14 1:59:26.535. I think we should celebrate the right millisecond, don't you?
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
3.141592653589793, that's as far as I've bothered to memorize.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, pi is fun. My birthdate (US date) is found starting at position 3035521.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944... that's all that I have memorized...
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Pi day!!
[Party]

(My friend memorized it to the 50th digit... she's crazy)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have trouble remembering 3.19

(little joke, but if it were four digits, I would be sunk)

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Pi was a strangely engrosing movie, kinda like a Da Vinci code for math nerds or Jews.

*runs to put it in the DVD player*

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, I had dinner with 3 math majors and no one thought of this. Instead we had 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
We had the *best* sour cream apple pie in honor of the day! [Big Grin] Straight from the oven with a scoop of Breyer's vanilla ice cream on it... *drools just thinking about it* [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
pi power
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.astrosociety.org/education/publications/tnl/54/erat.html

This is a project a teacher was doing when I was a one to one paraprofessional in her classroom quite a few years ago. I worked with a boy who was severely learning disabled, and whose behavior was the most challenging I have dealt with.

What Ms. Klass does not recount is the sword fights the children had with the sticks they used for measuring. She does not mention that only about one out of ten kids in the class really had a clue what she was talking about. STILL, it was a very cool project. She now teaches workshops on it. Here is my favorite quote, from one of the brightest students in the class. It cracks me up:

"As for my participation in this project it was involuntary, but I am grateful for such a wonderful opportunity." - Eli

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
So, how does a computer calculate pi precisely to ridiculous numbers of digits? I mean, does it first mathematically generate a circle, then measure its dimensions, and compare them? Or what?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff posted in my thread!

*runs away*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
My younger brother (math teacher) asked me that around a month ago, and I'd always been a little curious about that myself, Geoff. A simple way would be to create a 2x10^n x 2x10^n grid, see how many points on the grid are within 10^n units from the center (Pythagorean theorem), then divide the total by 10^n. You'd need a pretty big square to get very many digits accurately, though, so I assume there's probably an easier way. Never tried to figure out what it might be.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff:

Linky
Linky the second
This one has formulas.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are a number of series that quickly converge towards pi.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly -- but I prefer to link to examples, 'specially since I never remember the series in question. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize it's a little late but I trust you all went Here and celebrated pi day by listening it being recited in various languages like french, cockney, cantonese, touchtone and monty python.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.