FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Emergency computer help!

Author Topic: Emergency computer help!
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife just spent all day writing a talk for church tomorrow. She saved it to a floppy so she could print it from my computer (we haven't figured out this whole printer-sharing thing yet).

So we can't get the file off the floppy. Any time we so much as click the icon, the floppy drive starts making this repetitive grinding noise, and whatever application we're using crashes.

The few times we've managed to at least get ahold of the icon, we've tried copying or moving the file to a different location, and we get a "can't read source file" type of error.

We even searched the directory where WordPerfect was supposed to be periodically backing up her documents, and it was empty.

So, apparently, the universe has conspired to ruin our day. I'm just wondering, is there any last-ditch thing we should try that we haven't thought of, to at least recover some portion of the file?

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You can't read the file from either floppy drive?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, both drives act exactly the same way. Makes me think it's a problem with the file or the disk.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Could try openjing WordPerfect and clicking on "Recent files" (or whatever the WP equivalent is) to see if it opens the last one.

When you look for backup copies, are you looking for .docs or all files? I believe WP saves backups as .bk! or .bak.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Use Word. I can donate a legitimate copy. It saves better better. (pen/flash drives are helpful, too) [Razz]
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I'm searching for that now, but I was still pretty miffed when I saw that the directory was completely EMPTY. I mean, my wife even remembers seeing WordPerfect claim to back up her document several times. If the backup file isn't there, that's a pretty obnoxious program ...
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Heh heh, very funny, John. Got anything that can help us salvage the miserable situation we're already in? [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I did some searching online and I found something that might help. Granted, I've never used this software, but it may help you out. It will, in the very least, get you headed in the right direction.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I'm trying that program now, Primal (the evaluation version, at least), and even it is totally stymied. [sigh] I feel so horrible about this. I mean, she really did spend all day, off and on, working on it.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Which version of Word Perfect are you using? And are you on a Windows or Mac machine?

If nothing else, you could do a search for any file on your computer that's been added or changed in the last day (you can usually specify this in the Advanced Search options), just in case you pick up a backup file in an odd place.

[ March 14, 2004, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Ten on her computer, and nine on mine. Same file format, though, I believe ...
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Okay, that program that I thought was stymied is slowly seeming to make progress ...

Meanwhile, Heather has found a "talk.wpd" file on her hard drive, but it says we don't have permission to access it. [grumblegrumble]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Can you change the attributes for that file?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

What operating system is her machine running?

Can I show you how to share printers when we're done? [Razz]

fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Rat,

When I encounter difficulties like these, I resort to mailing the document to a different machine rather than rely on hard copy.

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I've got Windows 2000 Pro, and she's got XP Home. This is the first time I've ever done anything with a network, and although I thought I had found the means of sharing a printer on my end, her computer could never find it ...
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Looks like the file on her drive is just an "internet shortcut" right back to the A drive.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Any luck with the floppy recovery program?

(I get e-mail with advice about this problem all the time...)

fallow
Member # 6268

U don't have global permissions on a document on a home computer?

get a linux box, or a mac.

Can you open the file?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Stupid Question #4: have you checked your settings to make sure that your backup copies are being saved where you think they're being saved?
fallow
Member # 6268

Rat,

Find another drive, if possible.

fallow

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

FRom doing some quick research: WordPerfect has two types of backups. One is a temporary backup that can (sometimes) be retrieved after a computer crash or problem. This one usually comes up automatically after you restart WordPerfect and it asks if you want to recover it.

The other type is a complete copy of your document - the last-saved draft, anyway - but only if you have enabled that feature under Tools>Settings>Files>Backup Files. Otherwise, it don't happen.

The practical upshot is, work on the floppy. Unless you've got the backup copy option turned on (default is off), there isn't a backup file, the temporary one was deleted as soon as you saved your working copy.

If the option is turned on, of course, keep looking.

Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is the backup that was happening was the temporary "working" backup. The moment you save ths file, and properly close WordPerfect it is gone. *poof*

If I were there I could probably recover it for you by hand with a good hex editor. Made lot's of money doing this in the college computer labs [Smile]

I have used this software a number of times and have found it very helpful. http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

I truly hate floppy's, they are far too prone to damage and failure. I recommend ALWAYS save a copy of the document to disk, or email, or something. NEVER rely on the floppy.

[ March 14, 2004, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: Zevlag ]

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Okay, I'm ordering the full version of Badcopy, in the hope that the bit of file that the trial version recovered can be saved and then opened with WordPerfect.

I do have the periodic backup turned on in WordPerfect on my wife's computer, so I've got no idea why it didn't happen.

My wife formed a lot of her habits in college, where she didn't have a computer, and was forced to rely on floppies at the lab. I'll bet the habits will change a bit now, but saying what she should have done probably won't help our current situation much [Smile]

fallow
Member # 6268

Is it too long to rewrite from memory?
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

It's only moderately long, but it was a stressful process that just can't be repeated while dead tired in the middle of the night before.
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Great. Tried to register Badcopy, but their alleged e-mail with my registration code never arrived. Nice waste of 40 bucks ...
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, are you on IM?

IM me.

AIM: JBGZevlag

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

rat,

I could take dictation.

fallow

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a USB flash/keychain drive. You can get 128MB drives for $30, and they don't crash. [Smile] As fewer and fewer machines even HAVE floppy drives, this is a good thing.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, never save documents primarily to floppy when you do use them. Floppies fail all the time. Save documents to disk, and when you're ready to transfer, copy them to floppy.

Its not terribly useful in hindsight, but if you follow it in the future it will help prevent getting burned when you have to use a floppy.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

Good idea, Tom!

Update. Zevlag was cool enough to give me a registration code ... but even though it said it was accepted, my trial version never started acting like a full version, no matter what I tried. So I couldn't save the file. I finally collapsed and fell asleep, and Heather got up int he middle of the night to write a new talk. So it all ended up okay, even though we never got the file.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Heather! Poor Geoff! Glad it worked out ok. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.