FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help needed: identifying vintage clothing

Author Topic: Help needed: identifying vintage clothing
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Teres found a lot of old, designer-label clothing in a local thrift store and bought it in fill-up-the-bag prices. She'd like to start putting it on eBay, but to get it listed in the vintage clothing categories she needs to be able to identify the decade. How?

She's been hitting the library for books on fashion history but so far it hasn't helped much. Can anyone suggest ways to tell when an article or style of clothing was made? She noticed that all of them (and most other clothing) has an RN number on the label, does that mean anything?

Help, help! We've got clothing hanging all over the house!

[ March 13, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
We might be able to help some, if you can put pics online... I'm not saying I'm an expert, but between all us 'Rackers there has to be someone who understands vintage clothing!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great idea Raia. Pics will eventually be needed for the auction anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you Mrs. M could help. She's a fashion whiz!

I want to see pictures, too. [Smile]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, you want to figure out if some article of clothing is really from the 60's and 70's or a copy of something from the 60's and 70's, right?

Or are you talking really vintage, old stuff, like first half of the 20th century?

I think it'd be tough to tell with things like jeans/bell-bottoms. Shirts would be somewhat easier.

If it's designer stuff, I think you could find out from the manufacturers themselves. If not, then you'll just have to compare on things like fabrics, care labels (some of those mandatory labels came in after the 1970's, and the way they are written probably changed).

Where it was made could be a clue too. Back then, almost all the clothing in the US was made in the US. That hasn't been true for many decades now.

So,...as the song goes, look for the union label.

[Big Grin]

Retro copies also tend to be cheaply made, IMHO. If you are looking at a jacket and it has a nice lining, for example, it's probably old.

Probably...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.