FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » More History-Mysteries, please

Author Topic: More History-Mysteries, please
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am loving the Da Vinci Code. I loved "The Eight" and "The Magic Circle."(Katherine Neville)I love the Sister Fidelma Mysteries(Peter Tremayne.)

I need more! Now that I have broken through my reading block, I can't stop. I am on to the George RR Martin series next, which will take me a while, but any more suggestions for this subgenre?

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Stephen Saylor's "Roman Sub Rosa" series, which begins with Roman Blood.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading The Night Inspector, by Frederick Busch right now. I haven't finished it, but I like it so far. It's about a Civil War veteran in New York City.

Edit: Amazon link

[ March 11, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Foucault's Pendulum, The Name of the Rose and Baudolino by Umberto Eco.

Also, Iain Pears writes some entertaining historical mysteries.

[ March 12, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Godric ]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Christy loves the "Sister Frevise" books, by Margaret Fraser.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend is a big fan of the gulty-pleasure Amelia Peabody books by Elizabeth Peters.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a mystery, but an excellent historical fantasy is Nadya: The Wolf Chronicles by Pat Murphy. The protagonist is a werewolf in meticulously researched early 19th century frontier America.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest the Alvin Maker series by OSC. The mystery there is figuring out what is fantasy fiction and what is historicaly accurate
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth...I also really enjoyed Katherine Neville's books.

Have you read "Daughter of Time" by Joespheine Tey? It was written in the 1950s, and concerns a detective who is laid up in the hospital (with a broken leg, I think); as a way to pass the time he tries to solve the mystery of Richard III and the princes in the tower. It's a good book, very readable for all that I know of history professors who assign it to their classes as an example of how the historian is really a detective.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
The Daughter of Time really is good. [Smile] I second lma's suggestion.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oooh, thanks guys and gals!

I find it is difficult to find books like this because I focus on the fantasy sections of the bookshelves. There are so many cross-genre novels.

One I read, which was a mystery/fantasy loosely based on China, I would NEVER have found. (I will have to look up the name.

Anyway, thanks. I will certainly be set up for a while!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Irish Whiskey by Andrew Greeley.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Other authors I like are Jasper Fforde and Ellis Peters.

Eoin Colfer is good at sort of young adult fantasy mystery. I've really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl series.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Christy, I just finished the third Artemis novel and was disappointed. The first two were great. When we do silent reading with the kids in class, I always read books at their level so I can recommend and discuss them. Truthfully, it is an excuse. It is some of my favorite reading!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter loves the Artemis Fowl books! I haven't read the third one yet, but the first two were excellent.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I think of the Artemis books more as thrillers than history mysteries, but I love them. It was just that the third one wasn't as good as the other two. It seemed rushed, more like TV than novel.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth...another suggestion just occurred to me. You might want to try "Declare" by Tim Powers. It is a combination of Cold War espionage novel and fantasy - I found it on the science fiction/fantasy shelves of my local library.

The thing that makes it so fascinating is that Powers has apparently researched the era and the life of Kim Philby - a real British subject who spied for the Soviets, and one of the characters in the novel - in a very detailed way and fit his plot into known history and the facts of Philby's life, so that nothing that happens in the novel conflicts with that history. It's a really good book - I'm currently reading it for the second time. This is quite an amazing thing, considering that I generally very much dislike espionage novels.

Good reading.

Edit: to insert a phrase that I left out. Twice. It's getting late, isn't it. [Dont Know]

[ March 14, 2004, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks. The trouble with finding these linds of books are that they are often in different sections of the bookstore or library than I would think they should be. There are many mysteries in the fiction section, and there are often some in the fantasy section. I think they should have their own shelf, dang it all.
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Lincoln's Dreams by Connie Willis. Combination of fantasy and mystery, as a Civil War researcher tries to figure out the source of a young woman's disturbing dreams.

EXCELLENT novel. Should have won awards.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not forget Ron Brown's Angels and Demons if you haven't already read his "other" work behind The DaVinci Code

Many consider it fiction, but the author tries to tell a compelling tale in Laurence Gardner's works:

Bloodline of the Holy Grail
Genesis of the Grail Kings
The Ring Lords

Not exactly history, not exactly fiction, these works are strange yet compelling to figure out which is bunk and which might be true...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard, those books sound way cool. [Smile]

I can't believe no one hasn't mentioned Cryptonomicon.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Be forewarned Stormy, most readers consider the subject matter to be highly controversial!
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Very cool.

You know what terrible hand fate dealt me? I have been pretty lucky about most things, but why the irony of getting carsick when I read? It takes away so much reading time in my life!

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard,

Thanks for the warning. I shall make sure that I have suitably protected myself with garlic and crucifixes, and have holy water on standby in case of emergency.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I don't really think of them as mysteries either, but I really enjoyed them so I debated adding them to the list. I was a bit disappointed with the third Artemis book as well. The others were just so much more creative.

Edit: I also find the mysteries section to be rather frustrating. There are so many popular "thrillers," which I don't like as much and the genre really has exploded into a million different directions that its hard to browse the section and find something you know you'll like.

[ March 14, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Christy,
I think they should just use DD Shade's list of speculative fiction styles, instead of sci fi-fantasy, horror, and mystery. It would make it so much easier on us.
Katherine Neville's work is listed under regular fiction. I would never have discovered it if a friend hadn't handed me a book. The same with Stephen King's The Talisman, which, I think, is listed under horror. I would never have ventured into the King world, yet that is one of my favorite books.
I say we have a Million Geek March, and clear this whole thing up once and for all.

[ March 14, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.