FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got an award for a contest I never entered, for an entry I didn't know existed.

Author Topic: I got an award for a contest I never entered, for an entry I didn't know existed.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://stc-annex.com/Newsletters/0203results.htm

Lone Star chapter, a third of the way down the page.

---

This is the national tech writers' club, and I do belong, and that is my chapter, but I've never done anything with any newsletter. I went to exactly one meeting, where I got a thank you for feeding them questions to ask a panel. The questions I got from, that's right, Hatrack. I discovered this link when I googled my name, on inspiration from a thread on sakeriver.

The question now is: Why on earth is my name on that? What newsletter? Who is that other person? It's a National Award, so a sneaking part of me wants to stick it in the "Please hire me" file for future reference, but I think I'll pass.

Anyone else think this is creepy?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS!

[The Wave]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Do you know any of these people?
http://www.stc-dfw.org/newsletter/current/151.htm

[ March 10, 2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh*

I'd like to say something about being so good that I win without even bothering to enter, but the more I think about it, the weirder this is.

I don't think I've even ever READ that newsletter!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I am sure I met them when I went to the one meeting I attended, but that was almost two years ago now. Someone did take my picture.

Oh my stars!

[ March 10, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Kat....

(I didn't find any awards when I googled my name [Frown] )

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I get nothing also, except for some obscure references to soda.

I get nothing at all if I put quotes around it.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know Kat- if you didn't actually enter the contest it won't count for our bet [Big Grin]

But hey- congratulations on an award you know nothing about!

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that they made a typo and put the wrong Kate down from the membership list?
You don't know anything from the judges comments.

The immediate Past President was a Kathryn Poe... the initals are the same...

AJ

[ March 10, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you're that "ANON" I keep hearing so much about.

You could take credit for all kinds of stuff!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't this happen to you before? This is weird...I remember someone posting your pic and everything...

Maybe I'm nuts :\.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope your name is on this page too
http://www.stc-dfw.org/newsletter/current/index.htm

I definitely think I'd contact the people and see what is up. I'd want to know.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

No, I posted that pic. It was taken of me when I went to the one meeting. But that was a local chapter award on a made-up certificate from someone in Dallas who was grateful to, frankly, y'all.

This is from the national headquarters for the newsletter, which I never had anything to do with. There are no other Kates on staff - I don't see how it could be a mixup.

I did just notice that it was from last February instead of the one that just passed. *frown* I didn't go back to any more meetings because the photographer seemed a little too thrilled that I came.

Edit: *scowl* Mystery solved. That's the other name on the entry. Lovely. *makes note to never return to meetings* *not that I was anyway*

Ah well. At least I got an award out of it. [Wink]

[ March 10, 2004, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that DouglasDow was giving credit where credit is due (as far as he knows) inregard to a paper he wrote based on the questions you provided.

"90% of solving a problem is coming up with the right questions."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hey, I like that. That makes so much more sense. And this means I can claim it. *satisfied* Thank you, aspectre. [Smile]

I really did get the questions from a thread I started here. Congratulations, Hatrack! [Party]

[ March 10, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.