FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: All your votes are belong to us

Author Topic: New column: All your votes are belong to us
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
All your votes are belong to us

Move over, soccer mom. Back off, NASCAR dad. There's a surprising new demographic in the voting masses that's still completely untouched and ready to be shamelessly pandered to: Gamers.

Where are the politicians scrambling for the gaming vote? Why don't we see John Kerry publicly logging a 96-hour marathon run on "Final Fantasy XI?" Why isn't George W. Bush reinforcing the American family one "Sims Online" couple at a time?

It's easy to underestimate the reach of the gaming community. They don't share any racial characteristics, except possibly for an aversion to direct lighting, and they rarely intermarry. The closest thing to ethnic foods gamers share is Skittles by the handful and soft drinks with enough caffeine per can to power a medium-sized town.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heads up, special interests! Angered gamers are willing to mobilize, if they can do it sitting down.
Heh!

As a side note, I think you may have typoed (or un-typoed) your headline.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great!

(The title refers to an old gamers joke.)

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that after I posted here -- hey, it's right! what gives? -- and I just fixed it. Forgot to include a note to my boss, who edits my columns.

I'm honestly surprised this one went through without many complaints. He did say it was directed at a pretty small audience, but personally I think it just bugs him because I keep writing about things he can't easily vet. Hee, hee...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Republican National Committee Web site took the first halting steps towards courting gamers with "Kerry vs. Kerry," a Flash boxing "game" that pits the opinions of Senator John Kerry (D-Ma) vs. the opinions of Senator John Kerry (D-Ma) in a knockout brawl.
[ROFL]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

They really did! Kerry vs Kerry

Although I think the Daily Show's debate between President George W. Bush and Governor George W. Bush was better...

[ March 10, 2004, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I don't think there is much doubt that riding an ostrich is pretty gay, especially when done as some part of a renaissance festival gone

"horribly

"horribly

"wrong"

Wow, this is the best way I've ever heard Joust described.

Balloon Fight is SO much better.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You'll probably have to perfect online voting first, though. The direct sunlight thing. You know.
Ahhh....Wednesday is now my favorite day of the week because I get my fix of Chris_Bridges.

Thanks!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not "almost" musical... it IS musical.

quote:
Square Enix U.S.A., Inc., the publisher of Square Enix™ interactive entertainment products in North America, presents the first FINAL FANTASY® symphony concert in the U.S. featuring music from Square Enix’s world-renowned FINAL FANTASY video game series, performed by the acclaimed Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale.
Disney Concert Hall
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he talking about the original "Joust"? I always wondered what those things were... So what is that other thing that kills the ostrich?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Some sort of dragony thing? With the level of graphics then it was hard to tell.

Great book, though, better than I though it would be.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The "dragony thing" was a pterydactyl (sp), I think.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody posted a game where President Bush takes on Terrorists Rambo style. Now I understand that was part of the Republican marketing plan.

Thanks!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
I linked this to the EverQuest community boards I call home in hopes of starting a more serious discussion about how gamers can effect change. There is an issue that is pretty hot right now on a lot of the different boards (as in, as hot as the gay marriage threads here) and I would like to see what people think about what we can do about it. The issue is the buying and selling of intellectual property, and who knows where gamers could go with this. It's kind of neat though...people who can barely get out a sentence in game (OMG joo KSed me mob dr00d!) are posting articulate and well thought out arguments about the effects of selling intellectual property on both the "RL" economy and the in-game economy.

Anyway, thanks for the column Chris [Smile] .

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris.

But Gamers? Are we qualified to vote in the real world?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Why not? Golfers are.
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote:
how u were totally about to bunnyhop in this kewl FPS but some kill stealing, low pinging n00b ganked u during a lag spike and raped your base before you could respawn.

Which game is he reffering to, cause i think he missused his lingo. seriously, don't they want people who actually get out of their houses and venture out into society to vote. i mean i'm a gammer myself and i don't think that i've been out of the house for anything other than school and to see Raia in a week.

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm waiting for the inevitable complaints about that paragraph. Not only is there gamer slang, it has dialects specific to each game. That paragraph would be the equivalent of writing out what you wanted to say and then translating individual words in French, German, and Navaho.

Also gamer slang goes in and out of style faster than pop stars. I knew anything I wrote would be considered lame by somebody, so I went for the gold [Smile]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Lady, what server you on?

Or did we have this discussion.

Chiahpetz, the monk--Terris Thule

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Verileah the Shaman, Solusek Ro *grins*
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I got everything in the paragraph but the FPS remark. The rest is pretty standard. What does FPS stand for?

Edit: PS I liked the reference to online voting. Good context! They were just talking about the imperfections of E-voting on CNN today.

[ March 10, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: JonnyNotSoBravo ]

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

First Person Shooter, which was, coincidentally enough, the only I knew before I started looking for them...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.