FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I was secretly fired on February 11

Author Topic: I was secretly fired on February 11
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Apparently, BYU requires that its part-time employees register for at least nine credits. I'm registered for eight. Because of this, BYU should have sent an e-mail to my supervisor, warning her that I'd need to petition for continued employment or I'd be terminated. She never got the e-mail. On Friday, she became concerned that I wasn't listed on payroll (she was looking up how many hours I'd worked that week), so she called some people to find out what had happened.

Turns out I've been fired since February 11th. I petitioned for re-hire today, and I should find out tonight or tomorrow whether they'll grant my petition. The lady in the student employment office said she'd be optimistic. My boss did call me one of her most valuable employees on the petition form, which made my day.

I'll, of course, get the back-pay. But I had to go home today for the last two hours after we found out. I think this is one of the strangest things that has ever happened to me.

And all of my coworkers were making jokes about my being fired today. Hehe.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief, Brinestone. You will be okay until they cover the back pay, right?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Big oops! Good luck.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't fret. Grounds crew has a place for you. [Big Grin]

I was "fired" from my editing job at Independent Study because I only had three credits that semester. I'd completely forgotten about that policy until then.

How's that for a tie-in with my colleagues-in-law? [Smile]

But that proved to be a good thing because it put me on the streets again, and I found my first "real" technical writing job shortly thereafter.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] WOW! Well, at least you can get your job back, but whoa! That's really freaky. Almost a month of working while being fired!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it works out for you. Reason would suggest it should, with you only being one hour short and continuing to work all that time. Wiggy.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, afr. This is getting a little spooky. . . .
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know the half of it. Come to find out that I was "fired" from my Master's program class this semester because my tuition payment never got through. I was dropped by "auto-purge" in mid-January and never found out until about 2 weeks ago. It's an online class. You'd figure my log-in would have stopped working or something. So I'm appealing and trying to do a late add. Hopefully I find out my status soon, because I'm going to have to start working on the final paper pretty soon and I don't want to put any work into it unless I'm getting credit for the darned class. I'm keeping up with the class work in hopes that I can appeal successfully. If I can't, well, I guess I get a bit of a vacation.

So I feel some empathy for poor Ruth, and I hope things work out OK.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a TA I went the entire term without realizing that I'd never been hired as far as payroll was concerned. It took a few weeks but I did finally get paid.
Secretly not hiring/firing/failing people is a time honored university tradition.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was an intern for the Navy, I was hired as a GS-4 clerk (had to take the test and everything to show I could add two-digit numbers without carry), but I was doing database development. One Christmas break, they decided to get me a GS-5 engineering internship, since that more closely aproximated the work I was doing. The jobs were covered under different lines of accounting, so I couldn't just transfer from one to the other.

In the five minutes between when they let me go from the clerk job DoD instituted a hiring freeze so they couldn't hire me back. So I got hired by a contractor working on-site and was paid about 50% more per hour. The contractor collected a healthy markup, too.

Ladies and gentlemen, your tax dollars at work!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.