FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Similes and General Lines and Quotes

Author Topic: Favorite Similes and General Lines and Quotes
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Got any lines from your favorite books that just stick in your head?

Here's one of mine. It's from the Watchmen, by Alan Moore.

quote:
Soon it will be dark. Beneath me, this awful city, it screams like an abattoir full of retarded children.
Makes my skin crawl.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't be bashful, Pops. Are you looking for a naughty little girl?"

"Heavens no. I'm looking for a naughty little boy."

"Whoops, dearie. Pardon ME."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Sir? There seems to be a problem with this Ice-Sucky machine. Please make my pain end."

"The machines go off at two. Buy something else or leave. We have marshmellow treats. Try marshmellow treats. They are deliciousss."

"But... but I really want one. Couldn't you just turn it back on? I'll wait. Oh, how I will wait. I will wait until your children are wrinkled and gassy."

"Leave this place you strange little man. No sucky for you on this night."

"Heyyyy... wait a minute. You're the devil, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not the devil, go away."

"Oh, come on. You're the devil."

::metamorphis::

"Yesss! I am the devil! Darn you and your mighty word probe!"

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
T_Smith reads Johnny the Homicidal Maniac??? [Eek!] My world is rended by the satanic head bitey!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Will you eat them on a boat?
Will you eat them with a goat?
You will like them Sam-I-Am.
You will like Green Eggs and Ham.

ahh. the classics.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.
-William Gibson Neuromancer

quote:
He loved to burn.
-Ray Bradbury (runner up "Greatest Science Fiction Author" see sakeriver forum)Farenheit 451

Both are opening lines. I've probably quoted them before.

Gibson is a special case, though. His "film-noir" style of writing lends itself to a lot of simile. Neuromancer, as well as most of his fiction, is riddled with similes. Look at the first chapter of Count Zero, starting with the main character's reflection on dying in the beginning after contacting "black ice", Gibson builds similies and uses descriptive prose to great effect.

Perhaps all the best similies are destined to degenerate into cliches. If a simile is really good, and describes something that will echo into the common psyche, then it will get overused ad-nauseum.

But I still love them. Charged with imagry and a sense of the colloquial, they can leave very memorable comparisons.

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.