FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Osama bin Laden has been arrested...but Bush is intending to use it for propaganda"

Author Topic: "Osama bin Laden has been arrested...but Bush is intending to use it for propaganda"
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Osama bin Laden has been arrested a long time ago, but Bush is intending to use it for propaganda maneuvering in the presidential election," the radio report said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20040228/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bin_laden

NPR carried this, too, though I doubt any other American media sources will.

Regardless of whether or not you believe this, do you believe Osama bin Laden (and/or WMD in Iraq) is going to magically appear a few months before the election?

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't surprise me at all, nope.

I have another question.

Anyone think there will be record low voter turn-out this year for lack of good options for the conservatives?

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope so. Bush is the worst thing to ever happen to economic conservatives. Good grief that man is fiscally irresponsible.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm serious. I'd been in Bush's camp before, but now I don't want to be partially responsible for putting either candidate in office.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I hate most Bush-bashing, I've gotta agree with you there.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What's odd is the left is so blinded by their seething hatred of Bush they don't see that he's doing their bidding on the economy. He's so far to the left the only way Kerry can get farther to the left is to promise to raise taxes. Which he's done.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Pix, I'm afraid you're wrong. It's only if you completely misunderstand what liberals actually want -- if you've been so blinded by partisanship that you think liberals want Big Government and Huge Deficits as ends in and of themselves -- that you'd think Bush is somehow pleasing liberals with his fiscal policies.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Iranian government report this a week or so ago. And didn't the national media report that there was no truth to it? Yes

[ March 08, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe Bush would do something like this.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Er...if Xaposert says the opposite of what Tresopax thinks...? I'm so confused. [ROFL]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Larry Di Rita, the chief Pentagon spokesman who traveled with Rumsfeld this week to Afghanistan, denied the report. "I don't have any reason to think it's true," he said Saturday.

Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Afghanistan, also said he had no information to suggest bin Laden had been caught.

"Things are going well, and we believe we will eventually catch all the leaders of al-Qaida, but I know nothing of that report," he said.

Note that they didn't say it wasn't true. They just say they don't know. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Wow. That actually almost kinda sounds like an admission.

Stupid political answers.

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband read the news on Pravda (Russian newspaper) about 4 days ago saying that Osama Bin Laden had been captured. After reading the article, he decided it was bogus.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Pravda is still in print? This reminds me of the idea that the Jessica Lynch capture and rescue was all orchestrated. I'm sure the rescue was carefully planned. But if you want to judge something as having been planned by the prime beneficiaries, I guess John Kerry plotted the capture of Saddam Hussein.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Yeah. It is an important newspaper there, like the New York Times or USA Today here. It has changed, like the country, but it still exists.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say it, but no, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is some sort of "October surprise" involving Osama. Or, failing that, a sudden pullout of a large number of troops from Iraq just before the election.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong that the administration would play these kinds of games. But I just can't bring myself to completely discount that it could happen.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be devil's advocate, what would be so bad about the administration "playing such games"? If it wouldn't change the effectiveness of the capture, why would the public need to know now rather than months from now?

*takes a sip of my cynical tea, in case you couldn't tell

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

Secrets like that are too hard and risky to keep just to gain a little political advantage.

There would be too many people who would have to know about Bin Laden being captured. It would cost taxpayer money. It would slow down the war on terrorism. It would leak. Bush would get all kinds of flak for covering it up until then. He would lose people who were supporters as well as ticking of those who already hate him. Whatever possible gain there could be is not worth the risk.

I think we'll see Bin Laden as soon as he is taken.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.