FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who wants $250,000?

Author Topic: Who wants $250,000?
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have a standing offer of $250,000 to anyone who can give any empirical evidence (scientific proof) for evolution.* My $250,000 offer demonstrates that the hypothesis of evolution is nothing more than a religious belief.
quote:
* NOTE:
When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:

1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
2. Planets and stars formed from space dust.
3. Matter created life by itself.
4. Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.
5. Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).

Someone pointed this out to me this evening. Could be more entertaining than a night of quicky trivia with Regis Philbin...
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a rather impossible challenge, since 1,2, and 3 have nothing to do with evolution.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
1, 2 and 3 are also proven with high-level mathematics. Should some of the $250,000 go towards a few years of schooling so that he can understand the proofs?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if someone did manage to prove everything on that list beyond the shadow of a doubt I'm pretty sure that they'd make a little more than $250,000. Not that they shouldn't milk this wanker for all he's worth, but still.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
milk this wanker
What a lovely choice of words, Bob...
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

LOL

I'd also like to point out that that was from Bob the Lawyer, not me.

I'd also like to point out that the website proves this guy is a master debater.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wonder if this guy is going to demand experimental evidence for the creation of time:

"No, seriously! I just made some! Look -- there it went! And again! It's not MY fault you keep missing it, dude!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Evolution says nothing about the existence/nonexistence of God. Just like math -- I can prove that the PI is an irrational number without delving into the nature of God.

IIRC, Jodie Foster's character in Contact mad a similar observation. Science is a language that doesn't have the vocabulary to talk about such things.

quote:
1. Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
Such a claim is unprovable. You can prove that they came into existence, and you can come up with a theory that explains everything without resorting to the existence of anything else, but that still doesn't prove that it did it by itself.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was going to be the latest P-web contest.

Ah, well.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh... I wish it was a pweb contest too. That would mean that I HAD an extra $250,000 dollars lying around.

[ March 08, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Amka ]

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal Curve: Mathmatical proof?

The way I understood things, it was mathmatical speculation. There is SO much they don't know about any of those processes that it is impossible to define all the terms mathmatically.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
His standards of proof are beyond what any scientific theory (including the theory that gravity is a property of mass) has ever been proved with.

The exact mechanism of number four, for instance, will never be well proven. Why? Because its too far back in time, and the organisms it happened to are the sort that don't exactly fossilize much (very, very tiny archaeobacteria like creatures). This isn't a failing of evolution -- we have several plausible speculative theories about it -- its a failing of available evidence. And, particularly in cases where there is guaranteed to be a lack of evidence, lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.

Number five, however, is remarkably hard to deny (yet he does). Take a look at, oh, fish. Yes, lets take a close look at fish.

This is a fish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungfish

This is an amphibian:
http://www.blountweb.com/tennesseewebs/state_symbols/state_amphibian.htm

I am not saying the latter evolved from the former, because that's likely silly -- these are modern species, both the product of fairly lengthy evolutionary processes (though not necessarily ones that changed them huge amounts).

I AM saying that their physiologies (beyond their looks, their internal physiologies are remarkably similar as well) are strongly suggestive that amphibians like salamanders could and did evolve from fish like lungfish. The difference between them is remarkably small, and far less than, say, the difference between a lungfish and a shark.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
My dear Lord. . .does this man know nothing about science? Just the way he worded the challenge proves he needs to go back to college. Or at least high school. And the measly sum, I mean, really. . .
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Proponents of the theory of evolution would do well to admit that they believe in evolution, but they do not know that it happened the way they teach. They should call evolution their "faith" or "religion," and stop including it in books of science. Give up faith in the silly religion of evolutionism, and trust the God of the Bible (who is the Creator of this universe and will be your Judge, and mine, one day soon) to forgive you and to save you from the coming judgment on man’s sin.

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd also like to point out that the website proves this guy is a master debater.
Every day in every way, Bob moves up my list of the awesomest people on the planet.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.