FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New Computer, or I'm back!

Author Topic: New Computer, or I'm back!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Jenni and I finally have our own computer again, for the first time in 2-3 years!

Before I bought this computer I did a lot of research on the newer technologies that have become standard on todays computers. I knew just enough about computers to get myself into trouble, but I was aware of that as well [Big Grin] , so I asked a lot of questions from friends who knew more than I.

This is what I ended up with....

HP Pavillion a450n 3.00E Ghz 17in crt monitor and a HP1350 all-in-one printer
pentium 4 with HT 512mb PC3200 DDR SDRAM
160 GB Ultra DMA hard drive
DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive and a CD-ROM x48 in a second bay
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphic card, w/128mb ddr TV out and DVI support

I upgraded the printer to the all-in-one, but the rest was a package deal through Staples. With rebates, it cost about $1,100. Not too shabby, huuh? I probably could have gone to a show and had them assemble one for less, but I've heard horror storeis about some of the vendors at shows, and this way I have a servise plan with a store near my house.

Now I will be around a lot more often, and so will my wife, JenniK.

My new AOL account sucks, but it is free for the first 3 months, so I'll be using the screename KweaSr for now....it won't let me use KweaJr because it is already in use......DUH.....I was using it !!!! Oh well.....gotta love AOL, right?

See ya later!
Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Welcome back, Kwea!!! [Big Grin]

[Party]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful! I have had an HP Pavilion for years and really like it.

I had to buy a new hard drive but otherwise, it's never had a problem, and since I've had harddrives go out on every single machine I've ever owned, I wasn't all that upset by it.

WELCOME BACK!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kwea! Good to see ya. New computers are to us as new tennis shoes were to the kids in Dandelion Wine . . .
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I really like this computer, and so does Jenni. That's a good thing, as we just dumped a bunch of money (at least for us) on it. It is suprisingly fast on-line, considering we are just using dial-up AOL and not cable or DSL.

I am going to sleep now, but if you would all (well, anyone who knows me, if anyone else has a memory that good aroung here....lol) please put your AIM addresses down here, as I can't seem to find a way to log on from here as my old screen name, and I don't remember everyones AIM....

Thanks,

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Kwea. [Smile] Does this mean you'll start coming around more regularly?

AIM: jeniesque

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Kwea. [Wave] I'll bump the "Help a Newbie Out" thread -- it has a lot of AIMs.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the HP a450 is a decent computer. As a retail person who sells those, I think you got a good deal. It's safe to say, that with that computer, there isn't a lot you can't do right now, if you put your energy/creative talent to work.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see you back Kwea!
Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure I got a good deal. I could have done better with the price at a show, but not by very much. It seemed to be too much risk for too little gain.

My parents had a printer that they bought at Staples that they had to return twice, and Staples was great to them. Staples even took it back the last time when it was past it's warranty
date by two months. Also the sales person at Staples was great. I asked him a question about the packege deal, reguarding the video card, and he told me he wasn't sure. He then opened the whole computer to look at the card inside the computer and show me myself which card it was and where it was, as well as how to upgrade it if I found the need to do so.

I'm currently in retail (again) so I made sure I told his manager that the reason we came back to Staples was the salesperson. People always bitch and moan about poor service, but they rarely mention good service....

Yes Jeni, both my wife (JenniK) and I will be on much more often now that we have a computer of our own...

CT: I'll look up the "Newbie" thread tommorrow when I have more time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bye!

Kwea

[ March 08, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Ela
Member # 1365

Kwea, you can also check out this thread for lots of people's AIM names:

http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=019819

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Hi Ela! Did you miss me? [Evil]

Thanks, I'll go check that now....

Kwea

Kwea
Member # 2199

Kwea
Member # 2199

I guess not....

**pouts** [Cry]

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Kwea !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Blushing]

Thanks! Good to be here more often....I never completely left, I just had 2-3 weeks (min) in between posts!

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I'm off to spend money on games..probably Civ3 and Age of Mythology....
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Hi Ela! Did you miss me?
YES, I DID.

Just didn't see your post till now. [Wink]

Good to see you back and posting. [Big Grin]

[Wave]

**Ela**

Kwea
Member # 2199

Good to be back....now maybe my typing skills will improve a bit....

I'm getting a lot mre pratice now, after all..

Kwea

Ela
Member # 1365

[Big Grin]
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the new rig! Sounds like a nice layout! I splurged on a HP Pavilion laptop with the 17 inch widescreen. It is heavy, but a luxury item for watching DVDs etc... and I love it!
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's great, but we aren't use to having one availible at the time, so we both keep spending too much time on it. I imagine it will wear off, but for now I am enjoying it.

Alucard, what type of HP did you buy? We got a good one, I think, but I don't really know how to use it that well. Earlier tonight Jenni was trying to burn a music CD and I didn't know what to do. I know enough to figure it out, but that takes time, and I have to be at the controls to do it, I can't just tell someone what to do, because I am still finding out how to do it.

I have never owned a cd burner, or a DVD burner, of any of the other gizmos, so I'm just winging it!

Kwea

Hell, I didn't know I had to pay 200+ for Word!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.