FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Next time you're in Paris (or The Terminal)

Author Topic: Next time you're in Paris (or The Terminal)
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
see this guy and buy him something to eat.

Mr. Nasseri has been living in the Charles de Gaulle airport in France since 1988. Originally a victim of endless beaurocratic red tape, he has now probably lost a firm grip on reality.

Linkage

[ June 18, 2004, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're making a movie of this.

[ March 05, 2004, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Sorry, I managed to post without finishing my post. [Blushing]

There was a movie made in '93 called Tombes du Ciel. Spielberg is supposedly working on one, called Terminal.

More Linkage

[ March 05, 2004, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Sounds like a Douglas Adams story.

But he always said every time he came up with a crazy story, something in real life topped it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I got to see The Terminal this evening. It's Spielberg's new movie (with Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta Jones) inspired by Mr. Nasseri's story.

While the movie doesn't follow closely Nasseri's plight, it is a story about a guy who gets stuck in an airport (JFK Int'l). Due to a war in his home country (Krakoziah) and beurocratic red-tape, Tom Hank's character can't enter the country, but can't be returned to his either. Tom Hanks did a great job - his character is very endearing. And I love that that have him basically speaking Bulgarian. [Smile]

You should go see it. It's a great movie - light-hearted and fun.

[ June 18, 2004, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a thing in the paper that said they actually paid him for the rights to make the movie. Though they prob did it more out of feeling bad for him than legality. I heard that he won't take money (though he will take food) so this gives people a chance to give him something without him thinking it is charity.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool. Jenni and I want to go see this movie, we saw the previews when we saw Shrek2.

I was very surprised to hear it was based (very loosly) on a real event/person.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds and looks pathetically horrible. But after hearing everyone here, I might just have to see it.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see The Terminal. I don't know... Tom Hanks usually does a good job and the topic strikes me as interesting... [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so increadibly sad. [Frown] [Cry]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard a review of "The Terminal" on NPR overall it was favorable, though they did the ususal "arty" critiques. It sounds like it is a decent semi-dark comedy if you are into that sort of thing. (which I tend to be)

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I don't know if I would call it a "semi-dark" comedy. It's definitely a comedy, but it does pull at your heartstrings a little. I think I'd call it a very "charming" comedy.

[Why can't I ever spell difinitely correctly?!]

[ June 20, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.