FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mediaevel Baebes

Author Topic: Mediaevel Baebes
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard of this group? I got a few of their songs because they're on the American Psycho soundtrack; their song plays in this incredibly well done, fantastically creepy part- the part where he's just walking down the street at night next to some woman.

They're not quite authentic Old English, but very original... Exotic nonetheless. I'd recommend them to anyone who has very broad taste in music, like me.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
mom bought their christmas one, and I quite enjoyed the songs I heard from it
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have. I have one CD by them
Have you also heard of Miranda Sex Garden and also Rasputina?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
No Old English—they do sing in Middle English, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Nuts.

So Middle English pronounces "grene" "grin-uh?" I thought that was Old English.

[ March 03, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I thought I was the only person to have heard of them! They are great. I work at Barnes and Noble part-time and I got to listen to them all day throughout the holiday season.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Both Middle English and Old English would pronounce grene as "grayn-uh" (where the "ay" represents a monophthong and not the usual diphthongized "ay" that we use today). If they're saying "grin-uh," then they're saying it wrong.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"We're doing a history report, not a babe report."

"But dude, those are medievel babes."

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Party on T!
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, that was my unintelligent bastardization.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh... this sounds cool.

Almost as cool as Opera Babes.

<------ really loves Opera Babes

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Oh - some really cool, really authentic medieval music that I enjoy is Azam Ali. She sings in old French, Gallician, Latin, and even Aramaic!

Really cool stuff.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Just one more!

Garmarna is a contemporary Swedish rock/electronica group that does medieval songs with traditional instrumentation and then techno-izes them. It's great. This album is all songs by Hildegard of Bingen.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You also need Dead can Dance
Cocteau Twins and Bel Canto

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Is my memory completely mush, or do I recall the Baebes singing some songs in Spanish?

Oooh, Garmarna! They are my heros. Thusly inspired, I'm slowly but surely collaborating with some online friends to produce a progressive-rock version of some Mystere Bulgares arrangements.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of interesting and cool groups... My cousin is member of bond which is a very good pop-classical musical group. Doesn't hurt all the members are drop dead gorgeous.

Oh, and Jon Boy - you haven't heard a diphthongized "ay" until you've heard me. It's the one bit of my strine I just can't supress.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

You wanna see my dipthong, Jon Boy?
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

Hobbes will be traumatised!

[ March 04, 2004, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

But you're my sister!
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Do they really spell their name like that? Wow, that's incredibly annoying. Kinda like the dorks who can't spell "fairy" correctly (faeaeaearaeaea, or whatever). It's one thing to have different spellings due to regional differences, like colour and favour as opposed to color and favor. It's quite another to use dead spelling in modern context, when it's not spelled that way any more.

Incidentally, most of the people I meet who can't spell "fairy" correct can't spell "woman" correctly, either (womyn).

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

At least "faerie" and "faery" are well-established variants. There's just no excuse for bæbes, though.
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not use an archaic spelling for archaic music?
Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

True. Regardless, this

quote:
faeaeaearaeaea
is pure genius.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I feele sorrie forie anybodyie thate knowse onlie one spellingie forie a worde.

Acutally, things like the "Provo Towne Centre" bug me a little -- just enough to get me to mock their spelling.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

"Bæbes" isn't an archaic spelling. It's a spelling that's contrived to look archaic. The original spelling was "babe," just like it is today.
Annie
Member # 295

and, if spelled that way, shouldn't it be pronounced "beebs"?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

In Old English, the æ symbol represented the vowel in cat. In Latin, it was a diphthong like eye. Since babe is an English word, I assume that it would follow the English pronunciation rules, thus giving a word that rhymes with cab.

[ March 05, 2004, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Jon Boy ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.