FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't go hiding... [Or: Help me pick a set list.]

Author Topic: Don't go hiding... [Or: Help me pick a set list.]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I traditionally perform at the engineering talent show each term, usually with friends, but this time it looks like I have to go solo. It'll just be me and my electric guitar, possibly with a friend backing me up on another acoustic or electric, but maybe not – so assume that it'll just be me.

I'm trying to come up with a three-song set. The problem is that I'm currently in my middle-of-term funk (cf. Lalo's thread), and so the set I feel like playing is:

Shade (Silverchair)
Lucky (Radiohead)
1979 (The Smashing Pumpkins)

...obviously, this would pretty much be a nonstarter. Shade is an awesome song, and pretty easy to do (though it stretches my voice a bit), but who has actually heard of it? Only people of my vintage, and of those only the ones who still listen to Frogstomp after all this time. I'd like to do Lucky, especially if I can get backup and thus either play the lead part myself or have someone else do it, but again, it's really mellow. 1979 is the best of the bunch, but also requires different tuning than the first two.

So.

Keep in mind that I won't be backed by a band. My past solo endeavours have included stuff like Under the Bridge and Push (by Moist, not by Matchbox Twenty).

I'm open to suggestions. Stuff from the early-to-mid nineties is especially good.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude man, I remember talking to you about this before one of the last shows and you told me that you didn't much care what the weenies thought about your performance. There's only a small selection of people that you're *really* performing for and I'm pretty sure that they'll know these songs and react with a positive mellow vibe. There's nothing wrong with being a lower key than some of the other acts, heck, it might even be a good thing.
Unless your reasons for doing it have changed?

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Think Nirvana and Alice In Chains... lot's of good acoustic stuff there that sounds great with no backup band...
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

You're right, I know my audience – but I think this is too mellow even for my audience. Also, TalEng often consists largely of guys with acoustic guitars playing sappy ballads or sad bastard songs. I've always tried to differentiate myself from them by, well, using distortion. The problem is that right now I sort of feel like one of them, as dirty as it makes me feel to say it [Wink]

At the very least, I have to close with something upbeat.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

There isn't enough gravel in my voice for Nirvana, but Alice in Chains might work...

And actually, Shade does feature some distortion.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need a bass player?
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Are you offering? It's the evening of March 11th. [Smile]
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this thread the precursor to the "Monsters of Hatrack" thread?
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for something upbeat, try the Ramones. You don't get any upbeater than that.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
If you were local I would offer. However, I tend to be a bit too jazzy for the style of music you are looking to play.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm... think you might be able to handle Dave Matthews' "Rhyme and Reason"? great song, not very obscure, rocks pretty good, but most of what makes the thing is acoustic guitar and voice...

or take some early Tori Amos and re-do it for guitar and voice? that could be really cool... hearing a testosterone-laden take on something like "Waitress"

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

[Big Grin]

Well, there's always the blues. Or "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer..."

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
or "Grace" by Jeff Buckley... how's your falsetto?
Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

I think it's awful, but I've never had it reviewed. Lucky was going to be the acid test [Wink]
twinky
Member # 693

Oooooh... what about a rendition of The Tea Party's Psychopomp?

...sure, it starts mellow, and it's not quite the same without the keyboard part, but I bet I could adapt it...

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Ooooh!

I loves to play some blues.

How is it that the simple 12 bar blues structure is the most enticing musical form ever? You can rock for 17 hours in variations of 12 bar blues and your audience will never get bored.

twinky
Member # 693

The 12- bar blues is a singularity. I think the blues is common across all species in the universe.
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Slash, next time you are here in Dallas, I need to take you to see Jim Suhler play...
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Fell on Black Days by Soundgarden?

I Was Wrong by Social D?

What about a NIN song -- something from Downward Spiral?

And I think that Pennroyal Tea by Nirvana could work -- that particular song doesn't really need the 'gravel' imo.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Oooo, Fell on Black Days... or even Black Hole Sun...
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
You're supposed to drink the bourbon first.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the lead guitar part from Fell on Black Days would work better than Black Hole Sun as a solo thing. Or maybe it's just that the soft verses/loud chorus thing sounds more like a a solo-type thing to me than the incessant grating vocals of Black Hole Sun [I like the song -- I'm just thinking about one guy standing up on stage performing it].

But I don't play guitar so I really don't know.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Weezer - Say It Ain't So
Joey Ramone - What A Wonderful World
Sublime - Santeria or What I Got
Alkaline Trio - Radio
The Flaming Lips - She Don't Use Jelly
Alice in Chains - Would, Angry Chair, or Down in a Hole
Neil Young - Rockin' In The Free World

I second Fell On Black Days by Soundgarden. Man, I love that song.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

Am I the only one that has hated Nirvana from their inception with a deep and abiding dislike? Am I the only one who thinks Cobain was lucky in his timing, and was not anything resembling a musical genius?

That musical style had been perfected by others, and that whole scene was trembling on the edge of breakthrough, when a bunch of hack journalists tagged Cobain as their poster child. I personally think there were a lot of better bands in the scene that got overlooked in the Nirvana worshipping.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a bit back in time for you, but

The Analog Kid

is a great one, and not bad done acoustically.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Slash, and Cobain wasn't even the best in his own band.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

The Colour and the Shape showed that pretty clearly, methinks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.