FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Internet Addresses...is this the same person?

Author Topic: Internet Addresses...is this the same person?
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to determine if two people that are email/IM'ing/posting are from the same computer?

Is there anyway I can do things like this?

Can't they do it at Hatrack?

Can someone pull my wisdom tooth and put me out of my misery?

No, don't answer that last one.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, I'll pull that tooth for you. Of course, I'm not a dentist. Sorry I can't answer the other questions for you. Now where'd I put those pliers? [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, PSI, thanks for posting in my landmark thread. Now, about that tooth.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if we can, but the "IP: Logged" is certainly visible to the admins, and the IP is the numerical ID of the machine from which a post was made.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
The can tell if the same computer was used, probably. You can also check the header of the e-mail and see the IP of the sending person. Does not mean that the same person sent both, just that the same computer sent both.

Also, if you have dial up, only part of the IP will be the same, as a new IP is assigned each time you logon.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Further, msquared, unless the posts are from almost the same time, the IP _might_ not be the same physical machine, as many/most ISPs use dynamically assigned IPs.

-Bok

EDIT: Doh, I have to read better.

[ March 03, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
But is it possible to look at two IP's and get a good idea that they're probably from the same machine that used dial-up, or is there no way to tell?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how big the company supplying the dial up is. The companies have been assigned IP ranges and depending on how big the company is, it might just be the last 6 digits that are different or the last 9 or even more.

DSL/Cable etc usually do not have dynamic IP so those stay fixed. If you are worried about people tracking you down from your IP, don't use Cable/DSL.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

No I'm not....this sprung in my mind from the Hoaxes, trolls and something or other thread.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how the network is set up, identical IP addresses just might mean that both computers are on the same network. For instance, many school or work networks do not give each computer an external IP address, so any computer coming from that network looks like it's the same computer.

For example, my wife and I both post to hatrack from separate computers, but it shows up as the same IP address to people outside our network.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
and I thought I was paranoid! [Wink]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Actually, plenty of Cable/DSL providers DO use dynamic IPs. I know ATT Broadband (now Comcast) and Verizon up here both do it.

-Bok

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Cable IPs are usually long lived enough that even if they're dynamic they stay the same.

DSL IPs tend to change all the time if they're not static.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.