FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pilates

Author Topic: Pilates
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
....has anyone else here ever tried it?

The Pilates Studio

Whenever I mention it people say it's just this crazy Hollywood thing no one actually does....but I've been taking it as a class since January and it's *wonderful*. Like last week, it was cancelled twice in a row, so I went a whole week without doing it, and by the end of it I felt like a complete tub of lard, or something.

Seriously, though, it really makes me feel *healthy.* Moreso than a traditional cardio/lifting routine. Plus I noticed an immediate difference in my body as a whole.

Has anyone else ever tried it? Know any good videos? I need to find something good before my class ends...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I would call it "pilates" but it's very similar. I do stretching several times a week and it actually makes me feel taller. When I don't do it I feel all squatty and bunched up.

Oh and good videos. Get Karen Voight. She's the greatest and definitely the most classy. A couple of personal trainers recommended her to me, she's great.

[ March 03, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The women in my office spent about a month getting together during lunch and doing them in a back room.

It just faded out.

(Though there was talk of them taking a class on Strippercizing. I never heard what happened with them)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I just tried a pilates workout for the first time today. Good workout! My muscles are singing.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I like Karen Voight too. I enjoy Pilates, a lot, but haven't done it for a while. I keep saying I'll get back into it and get back into shape, but it hasn't started yet. Although I have lost 10 pounds in the last six weeks by paying attention to my food choices, so I am making some progress.

I enjoy the workouts with the big rubber bands. I did that three times a week for a while, and I felt so much more limber and strong. Those bands really helped me get more stretch than anything else I've ever used.

My favorite thing about pilates is that you can work out in your bare feet. [Razz] And the emphasis on flexibility and strength without building bulk. There are quite a few Pilates classes around here, I just haven't found one I can join that corresponds with my kids preschool schedule. Most of them are in the evenings, which I know is what working women need, but for me, that doesn't work at all.

I need to get back into it, I stopped for a very stupid reason - the DVD player upstairs quit working and I haven't gotten a new one. There isn't enough room in our family room for me to do it, so I haven't found a new spot yet.

Thanks for bringing it up, hearing you talk positively about it has me wanting to start again.

Hmmm...maybe I can shove the couch over and get enough room....

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Good thread. I've been wondering about this. I've tried niether Yoga nor pilates. What are the advantages of either one, are they the same, and which one is better?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there are a few differences but they are based on the same premise.

Link-o-rama

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just got me interested in the CORE workout. It has some similarities, but is designed to be done at home. Peggy Brill, I think, is the author.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a Pilates class for several months. At first I really liked it, but then I got extremely bored. And boring is not good, when I'm trying to work out. So I went back to the step-aerobics and cardio-training classes where the choreography keeps my brain too busy to remember how much I hate exercise. Seems to be effective, too – I’ve lost another 10 lbs!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah, the only way to effectively exercise is to lift heavy metal weights using motions that could seriously injure you.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Dana, My fav, and probably the healthiest is a good combination of stretch, cardio, and strength training.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, I also go to a class called “power hour” where the instructor is assisted in her torture routines by hand weights and four foot lead pipes wrapped in foam to disguise them as “exercise equipment.” We all know the truth, however.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Good link, PSI.

Actually I don't think they are based on the same premise at all. Pilates was developed as a way of strengthening and conditioning the body,and really took off when the ballet companies started using them (pilates, when practiced consistently, results in long, lean muscles, just what the dance companies like to see) Yogo has a more mind/body spiritual type root to it. It's about breathing, and meditation, and posture.

That's how I see it, anyway. Quite a few Christian organizations recommend against yoga because of its eastern mysticism roots. Personally I don't think a yoga class is going to harm anyone, but everybody's different.

dkw, I can't believe you got bored! I guess we're all just partial to different types of exercises. I can't stand cardio work. Of course, it's necessary, Pilates alone is not all you need for optimum health. And lifting weights - ugh. I would switch back and forth from regular pilates mat work, to band workouts, to ball workouts. The ball work made my back feel sooooo good.

Another good video set, kasie, is Stott Pilates. http://www.stottpilates.com For ball work, look at http://www.pilatesontheball.com

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Also, as these videos and DVDs get expensive, try Ebay.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

For some reason I thought the guy that invented Pilates was thinking of yoga. I'm not sure where I got that though. Eh, well.
beverly
Member # 6246

[Laugh] zgator
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the best way to raise my heart rate is to watch the Winsor Pilates infomercial.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the tone-without-bulk -- I'm already built pretty athletically and I have broad shoulders. If I did any serious lifting I'd turn into a female Ahnold.... [Angst]

The stretching really does wonders for me, too -- it can really help you focus, actually. I find that if I'm having trouble concentrating on school work or something I can do a few stretches/exercises and it helps get me back on task.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So it does more for muscle tone? I'm having workout frustration lately. I like riding bikes, but anything high-impact like running (which is the cool thing to do around here) is no good, and I don't seem to be getting any more in shape even though I bike all the time (and I make it a good cardio workout - I go for at least half and hour and keep it on a high gear)

I'd take more bellydancing classes, but I'm running out of money. Hmmm....

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a ball and find that it makes me much more likely to stretch because there is interaction with the ball and it just seems more fun. [Smile] Of course, being pregnant, I can't do many of the fun things on your stomach on the ball, but I suspect I'll do those post-pregnancy.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Pilates Power House with Lynne Robinson and I love it.

I don't normally like exercising that much, but I grudgingly do some cardio stuff. The pilates work outs make me feel great and I actually enjoy them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, if you had posted a photo of yourself doing Pilates you would definitely have made it into this thread.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

*eyes Dobbie warily*

I did send Ralphie some pictures, although they haven't gone up yet.

Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you tried this video? I think I would like to try Pilates, and I thought this looked like a good one to start with. What do you think?
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we have one similar to that, but I can't remember. I actually just bought a ball and kit that came with videos by Karen voight. Of course I haven't watched them yet but I have been having fun stretching on the ball.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

This is the one I have been using. I really like it. Some people can't stand Denise Austin, but I like her.
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
I take both Yoga and Pilates classes at the local Y. Yoga is very good for stretching, flexibility, balance, and strength. Pilates is not very much like yoga at all. For one thing, it's much more strenuous. We do about 100 reps of most things. (Actually I just stop when I can't do them anymore. If I ever can do all the reps, something is wrong. [Smile] ) And the exercises are only for core muscle groups. So abs, back, glutes, inner thigh, upper arms, shoulders, outer thighs, quads, triceps, biceps, and hamstrings. Basically everything from your elbows to your knees gets a killer workout.

It is more like ballet than yoga. The posture is the same as for ballet, for instance. It really does give you a strong center, and that makes a huge difference in all sorts of sports and exercises, from skating to running to swimming to tennis. It gives you great posture, too. It does, when you do it for long enough, tend to reshape your body to be longer and leaner. I love Pilates.

[ March 13, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.