FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you know people?

Author Topic: How do you know people?
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The odd thing about an internet forum is that you can know someone quite well without ever having spoken to them. Tonight I was at a rehearsal with an orchestra we don’t normally play with, my stand partner for the evening mentioned that he had attended BYU. I said that was cool, I had several friends who went there. I was thinking, of course, of Jon Boy, Brinestone, hansenj, muppet, and the several other hatrackers who attend. It wasn’t until later that I realized I’d never actually talked, on AIM or in any other way, to any of them.

I consider everyone on hatrack to be my friends, I’ll often say things like, “Kansas? Oh, I have a friend there,” and the friend I’m talking about is Farmgirl, who I’ve never communicated with personally. And yet I feel I know everyone very well. I know their situations, and where they live, what religion they are, how they conduct themselves in a debate. Do I know everyone, or do I not? What exactly are the ramifications of relationships like these? Or are these really relationships?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Bob and Dana consider them real relationships. [Smile]

I do get your point: for me it's slightly more extreme, as most of you live halfway across the world from me. But even for the short time I've been here, I do consider people friends - even though I actually only really email/IM one hatracker. (Apart from Scythrop, that is. [Big Grin] )

But people here make me laugh, make me think about things and I care about how they're doing. And when I do get to America, there will definately be people I'll visit (the Aussie jatraquero tour of the States!).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tlaking more about people you've never actually talked to, you only know them from reading their posts.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's what I meant too (in my own kinda confused way).

For example - I've never talked to Papa Moose, but I worry when I hear Mooselet is ill, I am happy when things improve, his posts often make me laugh - so I consider him more than just an online acquaintence.

The same goes with Bob and Dkw - I don't talk to either, but I was genuinely happy and excited to here their news.

I guess the thing about people you never talk to is it could be very one-sided - who knows if those people even know I exist?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I definitely feel that way... there are many Hatrackers that I talk to that I know I'm friends with, but there are also many I don't talk to that I consider friends anyway.

It's funny, I dunno if it's just Hatrack, or if that could happen elsewhere.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you consider engaging in a conversation on a forum of lesser quality than in chat? Or for that matter over a phone?
One is allowed to complete a thought without being interrupted on forums, which isn't typical elsewhere.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.