FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 50 First Dates - Can I love an Adam Sandler Movie?

Author Topic: 50 First Dates - Can I love an Adam Sandler Movie?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people absolutely refuse to watch any Adam Sandler movie. I don't blame you. There is a lot hostility in his humor, and that abrasive tone can wear out its welcome, fast.

I'm happy to report that 50 First Date, while still bearing some of Sandler's trademark grossness (which mammal has the second largest male sex organ... you'll find out), is bursting with lovable moments between two lovable actors.

Other than Tom Hanks, I don't think there is any actor that can play the genuine "nice guy" as well as Sandler. Barrymore, once you get over her lisp and her huge noggin (it has its own satellites and weather system), is probably as instantly lovable as any actress.

Add a script that treats Barrymore's memory condition seriously and a great comedic performance by Sean Astin, you definitely have one of the best romantic comedies in recent years.

P.S. In one scene, Sean Astin actually said "that looks kind of gay" to Sandler. I don't know if that is a inside LOTR joke, but I laughed like crazy for five full minutes. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, you can love an Adam Sandler movie...as long as it's Happy Gilmore.

Actually, I was hoping that 50 First Dates would be one of his better ones. I like him and Drew together. I didn't even know Sean was in it. Maybe I won't wait for the dvd.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Although Happy Gilmore is not one of my favorite movies, Sandler's "happy place" dream sequence is the funniest thing this side of Barrymore's head.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Yeah, but because of the image of Julie Bowen in lingerie, I could never watch Ed without thinking about pitchers of beer and a garter belt.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

He he... same here. Don't forget about the midgets. [Big Grin]
fiazko
Member # 5812

*shudder*
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was all about Rob Schneider in this movie. He was so hilarious.

Sean Astin was also really funny, though his character makes me a little squeamish. He did a great job with that lisp though! [Wink]

Drew Barrymore made this movie great in my opinion. She was just the right amount of cute and serious and real to make you really care about her and understand why Adam Sandler loves her. [Smile]

I had issues with the constant immature innuendo...but, it was on the edge, so I stayed the rest of the movie and I'm glad I did.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was just like every other Sandler movie...maybe I've only seen the good ones.

My favorite Sandler movie, however, also starred Drew Barrymore: The Wedding Singer. That's in my list of The Top 50 Movies Or So of all time.

Sort of off-topic: You know in The Wedding Singer, when he's singing "Love Stinks" and talks about the freaks at one table? Was it just me, or were they exactly how you pictured most Hatrackers before you found Foobonic?

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Porter and I just got back from seeing 50 First Dates. Loved it! So sweet and funny. Just what a good romance movie should be.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Narnia, the movie did start off a little slow, and I almost walked out myself. But when Barrymore started beating Schneider with that bat... she had me at first swing.

Da_Goat, what do you mean "before" I found Foobonic? [Big Grin]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Beren, you are my lost evil twin. That's the same part that made me CRY, I was laughing so hard.

*high fives Beren yet again*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can love an Adam Sandler movie -- he's been in two great ones: the aforementioned The Wedding Singer and Punch-Drunk Love in which P. T. Anderson uses Sandler's "hostile humor" to glorious perfection.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

*High fives right back.... missing Narnia's hand completely, Revenge of the Nerds style*

Whispers to Narnia: Gee Chief, How do you know YOU're not the evil twin. (If you get that reference, I will be your minion forever)

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

I think Punch Drunk Love was a great movie. [Smile]

But to me, it was not an Adam Sandler movie, it was a movie with Adam Sandler in it. I mean, come on, it didn't even have Rob Schneider rubbing his nipples.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hint to Narnia: Smart 60s spy spoof

[ March 03, 2004, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
So, is this the movie I should skip work to go see?

I'm leaving early Friday to go up to Seattle with a friend and see a stage play. (Of course, Friday's are supposedly a flex day, so the only difference would be not working OT again . . . [Dont Know] : )

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
It was mildly entertaining, but utterly forgettable.

Save your money.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
THe only reason to go to this movie is to see Sean Astin in a muscle shirt or no shirt at all the entire time. Plus, Sean has every really funny line.

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There were many laugh outloud, spray pop onto the people in front of me moments. Sean Astin had one of the most memorable characters I've seen in a long time.

I thought there was about 2 times too much Rob Schnider, though.

It probably is a forgettable move, but I sure enjoyed seeing it.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

quote:
THe only reason to go to this movie is to see Sean Astin in a muscle shirt or no shirt at all the entire time.
That single reason is good enough for me. [Smile]

BTW, my enthusiasm for the movie has nothing to do with the fact that I'm almost turning thirty and was feeling sorry for myself for still being single. Yup. Had nothing to do with that at ALL!

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it yesterday. Liked the good parts, winced during the bad parts...

Good = Drew Barrymore, Rob Schneider, the Hawaiian actors. Adam Sandler OK (I'm not a fan). Liked the romance, liked the memory stuff.

Bad = cutesy animal and kids humor. Sandler's assistant (Alexa?). Sean Astin's character. (Sean Astin was good... but the character was too much of a one-joke character...)

Could've been a MUCH better movie, I feel like they threw in the dumb bits because they weren't sure if the smart bits would get enough of an audience...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, that's just an Adam Sandler movie for ya.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

quote:
I feel like they threw in the dumb bits because they weren't sure if the smart bits would get enough of an audience
[Angst] Oh my!

Hmmmm. I just don't know. I watched Charlotte's Web with Nathan this weekend. I don't think they were too worried about the intelligence quotient of the audience, however, there was opportunity to learn cool new words like "radiant". There was some humor, some angst, some cute puppy love scenes. And the video only cost 6.99!

IT'd be at least 8.00 to see this Adam Sandler flick.

(muses to self) However, I did pay 28.00 for my ticket to Arthur: The Begetting . Now, that should be interesting. (Rubs hands eagerly in anticipation)

[Edits to add: Now, Beren - age is mostly matter of mind - if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. Besides, women seem to like bald guys, so the longer you wait . . . [Big Grin] ]

[ March 03, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

[Hat]

I still have all my hair thank you very much!

Shan
Member # 4550

Cute.

[Kiss]

Narnia
Member # 1071

Beren I don't get the reference. Alas, I cannot have you for my minion. [Frown]
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

It's ok. I think I'm already Shan's minion. [Wink]

I hesitate to give specific hints because it is a spoiler of sorts. Besides, it is a reference as obscure as scotch-flavored gum.

[ March 04, 2004, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Shan
Member # 4550

Oh my!

New heights of glory.

A minion of my very own . . . .

[Angst]

Now what do I do?

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

*sigh*

Omnipotence is wasted on the kind hearted. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

I'm sure you'll improve me, dear. [Razz]
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, OSC reviewed it and even had the same take on it as I did... that's rare, our tastes are pretty different, even when he likes the same movie that I do he usually does so for much different reasons...

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2004-02-29.shtml

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm definitely going to check out this new show "American Idol." If OSC think it is cool.... [Wink]

quote:
and the Adam Sandler character, so sweet to Drew Barrymore, is vicious and unlikeable as he taunts his assistant, a woman who has the misfortune of having rather masculine looks.

OSC is dead right about this. In an effort to appeal to his core fan base, Sandler has painted this entire movie with an unnecessary mean streak that almost, but not quite, ruined the movie for me. [Frown]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I was just about to post this same line and say "Wasn't that a man though?"

I was sure it was a man. There were a couple..er..um..lines that gave me that impression. Am I going crazy?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.