FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is old news. How did I miss it?

Author Topic: This is old news. How did I miss it?
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
How did I miss the death of Jonathan Brandis?

I'm not kicking myself for missing the opportunity to build a shrine or anything, but his acting is is fairly prominent in my childhood memories.

Am I the only one who cares?

*prepares to not be surprised*

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
who is jonathan brandis?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

*gasp*

Ok, not really. Just in case you're serious, Jonathan Brandis was in such "feats" as Neverending Story II, Ladybugs, Sidekicks, and SeaQuest DSV.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm sorry. I don't think I ever saw any of those (though I do have a vague memory of watching an episode of SeaQuest, a long time ago.)
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Oh, you're Canadian. I thought you were mocking me. (I was expecting someone to.) Famewise, he was no Leo or...some other really well-known actor, but he was a teen heartthrob for five minutes right when I was approaching teendom. I spend a lot of time checking out entertainment-related websites, so I was surprised that I'm only just now finding out.
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
He was the young version of Bill Denbrough in the Stephen King IT miniseries.

That's kind of a shock. Thanks for the news.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

I studiously avoid the teen heartthrob type, except when they accidentally make good movies [Smile]

Being Canadian has nothing to do with it.

Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, after Googling, apparently he hung himself back in November at 27. [Frown]

The Neverending Story (both one and two) had a fairly major affect on my childhood too. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were my first tastes of Fantasy.

[ March 01, 2004, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

I was pretty excited to see him in Hart's War and was hoping to see more of him in grown-up roles. That is the biggest bummer of it all.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh... [Frown]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
i didn't want to look at this topic, i don't really know why... but now i'm pretty much in shock... together with Roy Scheider they were my favourite Seaquest actors. that's said, really said...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, after Googling, apparently he hung himself back in November at 27.
Crumb. [Frown]

no memory of having starred
atones for later disregard
or keeps the end from being hard
--Robert Frost

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Brandis was my crush through all of middle school and most of high school. (Left no room for the real guys in my class, poor saps.) I was really surprised to see a thread about this. My heart was broken when I saw he killed himself...I remember he wanted to be a director one day.

I bought Bop and Big Bopper just to get the centerfolds. You couldn't see my wall; I had thirty or forty posters of him. (I also had a Bart Simpson poster, but that's another story.)

I loved SeaQuest. I've been bugging Jes to rent Ladybugs...gotta get back on that.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Seaquest. My sister watched Ladybugs obsessively, and I think we still have a copy of Sidekicks around somewhere (mostly 'cause my dad enjoys Chuck Norris' fighting).

I was really sad when I heard he died. [Frown]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Yeah, after Googling, apparently he hung himself back in November at 27.
Upon further thought, it was probably not Jonathon Brandis googling himself.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
A [Smile] at Kat's latest post and a big [Kiss] for the Frost excerpt.

Very fitting, and beautiful.

(The poem, that is. I haven't met Kat, so I couldn't comment.. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Smile] Thanks, Imogen!

Here's the whole poem, for those that would like to see it. Frost wrote it about Hollywood.
quote:
Provide, Provide

Robert Frost

The witch that came (the withered hag)
To wash the steps with pail and rag,
Was once the beauty Abishag,

The picture pride of Hollywood.
Too many fall from great and good
For you to doubt the likelihood.

Die early and avoid the fate.
Or if predestined to die late,
Make up your mind to die in state.

Make the whole stock exchange your own!
If need be occupy a throne,
Where nobody can call you crone.

Some have relied on what they knew,
Others on being simply true.
What worked for them might work for you.

No memory of having starred
Atones for later disregard
Or keeps the end from being hard.

Better to go down dignified
With boughten friendship at your side
Than none at all. Provide, provide!

[ March 01, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm.... (hugs kat)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.