FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kama Goes US (planning part deux)

Author Topic: Kama Goes US (planning part deux)
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't feel like looking for the old thread. Plus, it was too long already.

I have a visa interview next Thursday, so once I get pass that, I'll be able to buy the plane tickets. I already submitted my vacation schedule at work and talked to my boss, so it should be cool.

The plan is as follows:

Trip dates: August 7- 28 2004
  • arrive in NYC on Saturday, August 7. Go wild with Frisco [Eek!]
  • get to Jatraquon (I'm too modest to call it KamaCon) which will take place on August 13-15, 2004. I may get there earlier, though
  • go to Boston (some time during the week from August 16-22). Hang out with Bok, hike with mack (?) and others
  • last week reserved for the GreNMEtic team in Philadelphia, hopefully joined by GreNME himself.
  • go home from NYC on August 28 (probably)
  • go back to work. grumble, grumble.
Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

[ February 26, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, question..

There was a thread back then about chipping in to help pay for your trip here. Are we still doing that? If so, where do I send money? I never knew who was collecting.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'll contribute too.

<makes note to call State Department to grease wheels for Kama's visa>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at one point CT was going to be collecting the money, but I think that Kama has declined the offer. Is that right Kama?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
And as I have received no money, I thought that was the case, too. I think Kama wanted to take care of it on her own. Just let us know if you want assistance, Kama.

But if anyone wants to send me money, warn me first! I'll keep a list and verify that it reaches me.

[ February 27, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Nah, I didn't decline anything [Big Grin]

I did say it wouldn't be necessary, as I plan on coming anyway and I would be very indebted if you did (in the non financial sort of way), but I certainly am not rich enough to decline such offers. [Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

But do we need to send it in advance, or bring our contributions to Chicago, to help with the rest of your journey?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Okay, first, let me explain.

I would really appreciate any contributions, since it will no question be an expensive trip. I am very happy that this proposal was made, and that there are people who would share with me. What I wouldn't want, is for anyone to feel deceived by me - in the sense that I am able to afford the trip by myself, since I was saving the money for this very purpose. I wanted to make this clear. If anyone is willing to donate, I am more than willing to accept the donation. [Smile]

Farmgirl, I think it would be best for one person (CT is a good choice, if she doesn't mind) to collect the money. I'm thinking it would be most useful in paying for my travel within the US (i.e. NYC - Chicago - Boston). Whether I take the plane or the train, it will be the most expensive part, other than the actual plane ticket from Poland.

Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
If I have an apartment or house by August, you can stay with me, if you want, Kama, for your last week. My first job will more than likely be in the Philly area, and I will most certainly get a nearby apartment if I can afford it.

If not, I will be still at home, where there is no room to put you [Frown] . Plus, it's an hour from philly.

Either way, I'm sure the GreNME himself will make time to come see you.

[ February 27, 2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Starla* ]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco's not worth your time. You should avoid him. [Taunt]
Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Hey Bob, here's their e-mail address:
Krakowniv@state.gov
[Wink]

Khav, I know! [Eek!]

Starla, I might take that opportunity if Kira throws me out of Greg's place [Wink]

[ February 28, 2004, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Kama
Member # 3022

Tired, bitter, and feeling like some kind of an animal or at least a worse kind of a human being. I spent 2 hours freezing in front of the consulate. Your government should reconsider its policy. [Roll Eyes]

The consul himself was very nice, though, after I finally got there. His wife studied at my university.

Got the visa.

But dudes, if I didn't like y'all that much, I'd just give up. Honestly the most humiliating experience in my life. I was cattle.

going to bed now.

scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the wonder of Bureaucracy.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's nothing, some students that are studying abroad in Italy have spent MULTIPLE DAYS in line here in Boston to apply for visas. I forget what was the situation, exactly. People were literally out in blankets and lawn chairs in downtown Boston, overnight in the dead of winter.

This is 20 as a daily HIGH, people.

I can't give a link, because the Boston papers have archives they charge to access, but if you go to boston.com, scroll down to the bottom, and look for "Search the Globe", make sure the search is for last 12 months, put in "student visa", and read the first abstract.

Italy is worse than we are [Smile]

-Bok

[ March 04, 2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Yeah, but I don't need a visa to visit Italy.

I'm not really complaining about having to stand in line. But for God's sake, couldn't they let us wait inside???

John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
If I ever visit your neighborhood, show me to the consulate. I'll straighten them out.
Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

If?
Kama
Member # 3022

So maybe it's early, but there is nothing more preventing me from doing it, so I've booked the plane tickets.

Arriving Friday, 06.08.2004 at 20.05, JFK

Leaving Saturday, 28.08.2004 at 18.35, Newark

[Big Grin]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*YIPPEE!*

FG
edit: remember guys -- over it Europe they do those dates backwards -- so her 06.08.2004 is what we would write 8/06/2004

[ March 06, 2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Kama
Member # 3022

It's not backwards, it's the right way!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, FG, you mean she's NOT going to be here until the 28th month? [Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

You know what I mean, PSI!! [Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]

FG

edit: how come you all are on-line, but none of you are in Hatrack Chat! Hmm???? I'm so bored at work today.

[ March 06, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
[evil]parachat[/evil]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
So she's leaving on the eighth of Duodetrigintember?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.