FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sauciology Survey

Author Topic: Sauciology Survey
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you apply your Ketchup?

quote:
Secret Lives of Ketchup Lovers
If you want to learn the more about a person, look no further than how they pour their ketchup. From dippers and squirters, to sprinklers and smotherers, psychologist Donna Dawson has identified seven "sauciological" types.

Those who dunk into a well of ketchup are methodical and trustworthy. But they may also be control freaks who are afraid of change. Ambitious people splodge their sauce in the middle of their food. Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines. But deep down they are impatient and do not tolerate fools or time wasting. Those who dot their ketchup are friendly, but live conservatively and dream of adventure holidays. Smotherers are the life and soul of the party, while artists who draw faces and words on their food have an easy-going approach to life. And gourmets who keep ketchup in a cruet appear charming, but deep down may be snobbish social charmers.

My husband is a smotherer. I'm a swirler.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines.
I do this, but because I see it as the most efficient way of getting the right amount of ketchup on all parts of my hamburger.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What if you don't like ketchup?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dunker. I don't like the ketchup directly on top of my food -- instead I take a bit of food and dunk it in ketchup.

except hamburgers, of course....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Then you're evil and opposed to all that is good and holy, AJ. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, I dunk Burgers as well. Nice big pile of ketchup, and dry burger with dry bun. Sploosh. Yummy.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a dunker. People think I'm weird cause I'll order a plain cheeseburger and then dunk it into ketchup. But I only do thins because I think warm ketchup is gross.

But I find it interesting that dunkers are classified as control freaks scared of change. I'm a teacher, so control is my most faorite of all things, and change really sucks, like your wife leaving you(lousy wives!). Hmm... makes you wonder about the power of ketchup.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
Brought to you by The Ketchup Advisory Board

[Wink]

(for those who listen to Prairie Home Companion)

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I went through an adolescent phase of experimentation: drinking the ketchup.

Beatnix, is there an update? I can't remember what your thread was titled.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines. But deep down they are impatient and do not tolerate fools or time wasting.
This is scary. I will not show this to Diane. She'll read it, look at me and yell "hah!" triumphantly...

It's a little off, though. If I'm the one being foolish and wasting time, I'm more or less cool with it. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I squirt my ketchup in thin little swirls as described. How else do you get it out of the little packet?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
A hammer can be a pretty effective tool for emptying those packets.
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1 Packet Ketchup
1 Cup Hot Water.

Combine.
Mix.

tada---Dorm Tomato Soup.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Ketchup has an amazing ability to stay sticky long after you've stomped a packet on the sidewalk.

Dorm tomato soup. *shudder*

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchup was the condiment of the 20th century.

Frank's Red Hot is the new wave. Jump on the bandwagon.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
We call it "Dormato Soup".

I dunk. I am methodical and trustworthy. But I am not a control freak who is afraid of change. I'd like to learn to be in control, though...at least some of the time.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Smotherer.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I do everything except the gourmet depending on my mood.

Franks Red Hot is indeed a better sauce than ketchup. I love hot sauce and at some times have about 10 varieties in the fridge at a time. I use them too quickly though, and they are pretty expensive.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Anyone ever actually try the green ketchup? I never could bring myself to. The purple... maybe. I mean, I think red ketchup is artificially colored. But I just wasn't interested.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Amazing what changing one little atomic number can do to the color of ketchup.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on what I'm eating. I usually do the swirly thing for hamburgers, but doing anything but a dunk for a chicken nugget would just be wrong.

Oh yeah, and I was forced to eat the green ketchup. I nearly gagged.

[ February 26, 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I looked at the word "ketchup" the curiouser I got, Alice. So here is the etymology:

quote:
Ketchup is a Chinese word in origin. In the Amoy dialect of southeastern China, koechiap means 'brine of fish.' It was acquired by English, probably via Malay kichap, toward the end of the 17th century, when it was usually spelled catchup (the New Dictionary of the Canting Crew 1690 defines it as 'a high East-India Sauce'). Shortly afterward the spelling catsup came into vogue (Jonathan Swift is the first on record as using it, in 1730), and it remains the main form in American English. But in Britain ketchup has gradually established itself since the early 18th century.
http://www.takeourword.com/et_k-m.html#ketch

Please note that according to the above, ketchup is not the norm in American English. I disagree, based solely upon the spelling I have observed in this thread- not one "catsup," a sickening spelling at best.

Been a long day. Humor me.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.