FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Virtual Anesthesia

Author Topic: Virtual Anesthesia
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
...Higher order thought processes descend the spinal cord and influence the amount of pain allowed to enter the brain.

Fascinating stuff.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hoffman's virtual worlds, which he calls by names such as SnowWorld or SpiderWorld, are designed to immerse the user so deeply in the virtual experience that their attention is distracted away from the pain.

SnowWorld, for instance, takes users on an absorbing virtual journey through glaciers and ice caves whilst having to defend themselves from attack by polar bears and penguins.

Fascinating bunk science, I think you mean. Everyone knows that polar bears live in the Arctic, while penguins live in the Antarctic. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile]

Next thing you know he'll be having his patients go on tiger safaris in Africa while their bandages are changed!

I'll bet that if he creates a Moria virtual world, his Balrog will have wings!

Oh, the humanity!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
There aren't tigers in Africa? But what about that flash cartoon?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm...am I the only one who creates fantasy worlds for myself when I know I'll be in pain? Like when I'm in labor, or when I'm expecting pain.

Maybe it's not as effective as drugs would be, but I've had 2 kids so far with no epidurals. I think that says a lot for the power of the human mind with regards to pain management.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I've never done that, exactly, but I've used books to distract myself from pain. Whenever I'm sick I try to have a really involving book to kind of immerse myself in.
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, with the book thing.
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I remember when I was in labor with Jen...

It was a very stressful delivery: the cord was wrapped around her neck, so every time I'd have a contraction, her heartrate would drop. I was worried, and trying very, very hard to concentrate on, well, being somewhere else.

My mother, thinking she was being helpful, kept patting me on the hand and telling me "It'll be worth it sweetie, every mother from the beginning has done this." And then trying to tell me stories of my own birth. I asked her several times to please, please be quiet and let me "rest" but she wouldn't listen. I finally had to kick her out of the room so I could concentrate.

The method I'm talking about is, well, I've heard it described as meditation. I just concentrate on breathing deeply and correctly, and soon I feel sort of disconnected from my body. Then I can close my eyes and imagine myself anywhere I want to be. I'm still aware of what's happening, like the first patient in the story, but I'm just, well, not there .

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I did that for the birth of our daughter. We attended Hypnobirthing classes and practiced deep relaxation techniques and visualizations. I talked her through 14 hours of natural labor. She made it all the way to a 7, at which point she needed some medicine to ease the need to push. When it was over, we felt very much like a team. It was an awesome, if exhausting, experience.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.