FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could only see one movie...

Author Topic: If you could only see one movie...
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually go to the dollar theater, but we got a gift certificate to the movie theater. Anyone know of anything exciting coming up or relatively new? I mean, besides "The Passion of Christ."

Edit: title

[ March 08, 2004, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies.php

My list to keep in mind:

Hidalgo
Shrek 2
Troy
HP3
Van Helsing (not sure on the rating on that one, though)

Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Oooh, thanks A-C. I'll bet on Hidalgo. I like Viggo and he'll want to see if there is any Arabic.

That's funny you mention the ratings. I was thinking of trying to explain my ratings stance, but I didn't want this to turn into a judgementalism thread. I am easily mystified, though, as to why "Men of Honor" was rated R and "Zoolander" was not. Increasingly, I would rather see an R rated drama than a PG-13 comedy. If those were the only choices.

[ February 20, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

We'll probably go before, if not on, his birthday first part of March. Lookring around, Dirty Dancing is another contender. Also, I want to see Starsky and Hutch despite my problems with Zoolander. How dumb and I? But I really think it's between Dirty Dancing and Hidalgo.
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
:bump:
So Hidalgo only got 2 stars, in our paper at least. Anyone see it?

P.S. Was there any Arabic in it?

[ March 08, 2004, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Trisha the Severe Hottie ]

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
There was, and also Soiux, but both are subtitled, so who cares?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooh, Sioux.

[Evil]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

If there is Arabic, my husband won't mind seeing it. About how much, would you say?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it.

Dumb movie. The screenplay needed a work over. There were too many themes, and you know the symbolism is ham-handed when the Wise Guru literally says, "Your name means [blank], but it also means [blank]." and "You are torn in two directions, [blank] and [blank]. This race will allow you to make your choice."

Rather gory, but I saw it with sensitive BYUers. There is a scene where someone head is cut off, but it is PG-13 because there is, literally, NO BLOOD IN THE WHOLE MOVIE. Not that I wanted more gore, but it was like a cartoon.

The love story was laughable. The girl is a Valley Girl rebelling against her indulgent rich father in the body and life of an Arab girl in 1850. The people writing it obviously had no idea of the thinking behind the traditions, because the way they broke the traditions was either hysterical, or simply the saddest, most pathetic abandonment of culture and beliefs capable of being conceived.

However, the cinematography is gorgeous, and Viggo Mortensen for two hours is never a terrible proposition.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Hmmm. I'm just starting to worry that if we don't go to see a movie this week, it will mark a point beyond which we no longer see movies together. We have vastly different ideas of why one should want to go to the movies. It's the man's birthday this week. But if there is a beheading, we probably won't go see that one.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, it has the dramatic punch of breaking a Lego.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

breaking a lego? I didn't think that was possible.

So what about the best two years? Anyone see that?

P.S. I think it's funny that Comingsoon.com lists films for 2006 and 2007. Of course, they are x men 3 and Harry Potter V.

[ March 08, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.