FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why are we called Jatraqueros?

Author Topic: Why are we called Jatraqueros?
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Well? Inform me people!

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you don't know, you can't call yourself one.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Pronounce it like the Spanish do.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Because Hatrackians sounds like the aliens in a bad '50s Sci-Fi movie?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
You could run a search on the term to see if it has ever been explained before...
This reminds me of "Sleepless in Seattle":

"What's tira misu?"
"Trust me, you'll love it"
"Some woman's going to want me to do it to her and I won't know what it is."

[ February 18, 2004, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Because we were trying to think of a good word for Card fans, and Cardiacs didn't catch on.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a big proponent of the terms "Hatrackite", but that didn't catch on either. I usually use Hatrackers, myself.

The answer to your question, though, is that David Bowles came up with it, and it caught on. It's clever, has a certain "in-group" quality, and rolls off the tongue better than most of the alternative terms.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, now you've destroyed the mystique of the word. [Wink]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the acronym for this particular forum. We could be BFFACers.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

That's me, destroying mystique wherever I go.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
BFFACers?

BeeFuFahckers?

Not sure I like how THAT rolls off the tongue.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
10) Because "The Dan Raven Worship Guild" just never caught on like I hoped it would.

9) Because the name "Bob-ites" scared Bob.

8) Because Jatraquero's sounds better than Hatrack Queeros.

7) Because the name "U.S. Supreme Court" was already taken.

6) Because its all part of the plan of the secret Liberal cabal to get everyone to be bi-lingual.

5) Because, if I tell you I'll, well, not have to kill you or anything that extreme, but a wedgie is mandatory.

4) Because we are all secretly in love with Jaque Cousteau.

3) Because the Card family lawyers would sue our behinds off if we did half the stuff the Wenches did in public, and attached their name to it in anyway.

2) Because its an anagram for Rat a Jerquos. Nobody is sure wat a Jerquos is, but we have no problem ratting on it.

1) Because Pappa Moose said so. And what Pappa Moose says, is probably what Mamma Squirrel told him to say. And what Mamma Squirrel says is the law.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

That was your 5500 post.

Edit: Or maybe not. Not sure when these things refresh themselves.

[ February 18, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tom. If you have to ask, you aren't.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.