FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Monster Is Loose (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Monster Is Loose
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
well?

need to know.

Looks like I can get trade paperback copies of Monster Rules to those who want to read it, or have read it and want real copies.

[ February 18, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think $12 is a pretty good top price for a TPB, although I have seen 'em from $10 to $15. $12 sounds like a nice median.

for a MMPB, though, Anything over $7.95 is a bit nuts. And at $7, it better be a thick book, or have a gorgeous cover at least. With textures.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked over some of my trade paperbacks and found that $12.99 was the most common list price. (not that I always paid list)

I have however, paid up to $14.99 for a book I really wanted that was TPB. Sometimes, especially in Christian publishing, the list prices are higher.

For your book I'd pay more than that. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I never trade paperbacks. I either buy them outright, or go without.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I'll buy it if you personalize it and sign it.

I'll pay extra if you put me in the foreword.

[Razz]

Seriously, though, I'll take a copy.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

If the acknowledgement page contains the phrase

"I must extend my heartfelt thanks to my dear friend Adrian, without whom I could not have done this, because her brilliance inspired me greatly"

I'll buy TWO copies.

[Evil]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What if I scribble that in? [Wink]

Here's the deal. It'll cost me $11.99 per book without me making any money at all. Do I add a dollar or just keep it at cost?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could make a happy medium of $12.49.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Add.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
whats this book about?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
At LEAST a dollar! Two dollars, even.

This'll have original photos (2), a personally designed front and back cover, and will be a rare first edition copy of a book that will probably be worth a lot of money one day.

It's an investment AND a work of art.

Start practicing your signature, Jamie.

She describes the book here:
http://www.madowl.com/writing

[ February 15, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Sell it to friends for whatever, the prices in this thread seem like good suggestions. However, put a MSRP on it of $16 (or $15.95 or whatever, but you'd probably get people's notice better with a round number [Smile] ), then market it around to independent booksellers; you can suggest they offer a certain small stock (say, 5 copies) on pure consignment, then if those sell they might start being interested in buying some (of course, you'd probably have to sell them to them for at least 10% off the MSRP, which is why you make that $16). Keep in mind that the way the new book market works is if booksellers don't sell all their copies they get to ship them back to the publisher and get a refund (you should probably include this clause if you have a bookstore ordering any not on consignment).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean I don't get my copy for free????

[Evil Laugh]

I have a hard time paying for Trade Paperbacks because I am a cheap bastich, but when I do feel compelled to pay full price for a book I really really want, thirteen dollars is not a crazy price. Especially if there are photos.

Fifteen dollars for a nice trade with photos seems not unreasonable to me.

Sixteen dollars seems a bit much for an author I've never heard of. (don't shoot me, I had to dangle the participle, I couldn't make it make sense otherwise)

I would pay twenty dollars for a book by the inestimable Jamie. But I'm a sucker for mackillian. I luuuuuuuuuuuuub jamie [Wink] .

Do I have to order it from the website and then ship you to my house to get it signed? Because that would up the price too much. [Wink] Of course, if you are still coming to West Point for graduation, I guess I could wait until then to get it signed. *heavy sigh*

Yay! mack's getting published!!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Monster Rules

There we go.

[ February 16, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: mackillian ]

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
$67,032,573.71

But will you take a check?

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Only a bank check.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Is this the only way to get a copy? I want an autographed copy from the author. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
is mack going to the chicago thing? maybe we could make it a stop on her signing tour...
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I refuse to buy unless it's signed with my required phrase written in.

So there.

Actually, yah, I'll order. But you have to promise to make it down south at some point to sign it, and to take pictures of my kids.

Belle
Member # 2314

Wow, I forgot I already had money in my PayPal account. [Smile]

I shall commmence my mailbox watching.

Anybody else order yet?

Would be cool to be the first.....

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I guess you beat me.

Mack...I do want to get it signed by you...

Or you could just put --I in it...

[Big Grin]

edit: crud, I don't even know how to --I-- correctly!

[ February 18, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

mackillian
Member # 586

[Blushing]

Yeah, I'm going to the Chicago thing.

Belle
Member # 2314

But I'm not. [Frown]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Me, neither. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Oh, too bad, I'll just have to visit you guys. [Big Grin]
Belle
Member # 2314

When is the Chicago thing? No one will have books by then, will they?
mackillian
Member # 586

Not till summer. I'm thinking they'll have 'em by March.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mack, by the way...congratulations.

It's a major accomplishment to finish something like this. I hope it sells like hotcakes. Well, not with butter and syrup all over it -- that'd be messy during shipping.

mackillian
Member # 586

*raises eyebrow*

Bob, this is my second one (first is a first-novel-type-novel). And I finished it in 2002. [Wink]

Belle
Member # 2314

I can't wait for number 3. ASTG is gonna ROCK.
mackillian
Member # 586

If it gets WRITTEN...
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mack...oh. Cool. Still, it's an accomplishment worth celebrating, no?

So are copies of your first effort still available?

celia60
Member # 2039

heh, great! i'll be sure to wear my monster tour t-shirt.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

They will be next month. [Smile]
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought mine. Can't wait to read it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Anyone else?

(Haven't been able to start reading it yet, though. Still unpacking from the move.)

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Karl, how's it look? My copy isn't supposed to arrive till later today.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Very professional. Nice cover art. Nicely finished. Looking forward to reading it.
mackillian
Member # 586

YEAY! [Big Grin]

I'm excited that more people I know will get a chance to read it and give feedback.

*waits*

celia60
Member # 2039

mine's shipped but not yet arrived. i'm planning on reading it over spring break. [Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

I'm in the same boat as Celia. It's shipped but hasn't arrived yet. I'm waiting.
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
::wishes she had money::

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

It's here today!
mackillian
Member # 586

Mine are here too! How COOL!
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it all. I am gonna have to wait until the end of the month to make my order. Maybe, if I am lucky, the middle of the month.

Mack, may I ask a favor? Would you take a picture of the book? I think it would be cool to see a color photo of it, especially for those who cannot order it just yet. Thank you.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

*expletive deleted*FedEx has *expletive deleted* managed to *expletive deleted* lose my copy. They claim it was delivered on the second. Funny, Bill works at home and he doesn't recall them coming by. Those *expletive deleted* are trying to tell me that since thier *expletive deleted* delivery guy says he delivered it to the right *expletive deleted* address there's nothing they can do. *expletive deleted* liars! This is now package #5 that they've *expletive deleted* up and I am so *expletive deleted* tired of fighting with them.

Did anybody happen to notice if there was a USPS option? They may be slower, but they at least manage to deliver stuff to us.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Mine arrived while I was away on a trip. It looks great. If I ever finish reading Don Quixote I'll start on your book.

[Big Grin]

Kama
Member # 3022

So, who's willing to buy Kama a gift for the Con?

I don't have a credit card which enables online shopping, plus it would be silly to ship the book to Poland just to take it back to America for mack to sign.

And I want to have it. [Razz]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I can order an extra one for you. [Smile] I haven't ordered mine yet.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Yes?

[Kiss]

Thank you thank you [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.