FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Celebrity Couple Calls it Quits - After 43 Years!

Author Topic: Another Celebrity Couple Calls it Quits - After 43 Years!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't anyone stay together any more?

Barbie and Ken 'Split' After 43 Years

quote:
NEW YORK (AP)--Just like J.Lo and Ben, the romance is over for Barbie and Ken.

After 43 years as one of the world's prettiest pairs, the perfect plastic couple is breaking up. The couple's ``business manager,'' Russell Arons, vice president of marketing at Mattel, said that Barbie and Ken ``feel it's time to spend some quality time--apart.''

``Like other celebrity couples, their Hollywood romance has come to an end,'' said Arons, who quickly added that the duo ``will remain friends.''

I hate to say this, but I'm glad I won't be there when my sister hears of this. She'll be devastated. Maybe, if she's lucky, she won't hear.

[ February 12, 2004, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who doesn't get it?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide:

I'm totally with you... When did they get married? Why wasn't I invited?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there special "divorce papers" or "divorce cloths" that go along with this? Meaningless ad campaign.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Sheesh. Read the article:

quote:
Arons hinted Wednesday that the separation may be partially due to Ken's reluctance to getting married. All those bridal Barbie dolls in toy chests around the globe are really just examples of Barbie's wishful thinking, she explained.

The article carefully avoids mentioning if they were dating all this time or shacking up.

Doesn't matter. Ken's got his suitcases piled up in front of Barbie's Dream House. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
Sources say Ken was caught making out with Princess Leia at the bottom of the toy box.
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidyanna
Member # 6148

- posted      Profile for kidyanna   Email kidyanna         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah that's probably the truth..I heard that he's also been with the whole gang Midge,Becky,Teresa,and then he left finally Barbie for Skipper.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't some of those girls underage? That's just not right.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Is it just me, or is it suspicious that the news of Barbie's breakup hit the news at the exact same time as the rumors about John Kerry having an affair? [Angst]

Maybe I should email Drudge - It looks like it might meet his criteria for speculative reporting. [Wink]

[ February 12, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think Kerry had something to do with the break up? [Wink]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

The latest unsubstantiated, possibly fabricated rumor about the break-up is that scottneb's Care Bear had something to do with it. That's the real reason it almost died!
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
No, what I don't get is how you can break up plastic dolls? Is this a marketing ploy, or something? More girls will buy Ken now that he's single? Are they going to announce next that Pikachu has been visiting the local Pokemon brothel? I don't understand the reasoning behind this!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! Now Ken and I have an excuse to dig a pit and drown that BIT@H in a pool of lighter fluid before we toss in the butt of a nice Cuban cigar into her fiery tomb.

POOSCH!

But hey, we're not bitter. Now, where'd that 12" Queen Amidala doll go?...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Barbie was just a cover for Ken anyway, as he is obviously gay.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
No! Not Ken. He said all the Weightlifting magazines belonged to Bert and Ernie, who are so so obviously an urm...item.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
How many years had Harrison Ford and his wife been married? And has anyone seen his earring yet? What on earth is up with that?
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Xavier,

are you sure it was just Barbie covering for Ken?

Maybe it was mutual.

Hey, 43 years ago, coming out of the closet would have been deadly for either of them.

And Barbie seems to spend most of her time surrounded by girlfriends...

(Where's Drudge's email address? He needs to hear this!)

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So glad I never had one.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
so while i'm standing in line to buy some nice wrapping paper, the people behind me are talking about the barbie controversy.

he says the new ones are called cali and blaine.

she says, "so they're still sticking with b and c?"

"just in the other order, i guess."

uh...

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.