FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Need a ~, have a ~, take a ~, leave a ~--religious-sorta thread

Author Topic: Need a ~, have a ~, take a ~, leave a ~--religious-sorta thread
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
A Hatrack prayer list. Right now, this(~) is the only good symbol I can think of for prayers, but I'm open for suggestion.

This is just you can add your name or names of people you know to a prayer list thingie. No need to repeat names someone else has asked for prayers for; just add yours to the list, if you see what I mean.

In my thoughts and prayers:
~Laci~
~Emily~
~the family of that girl in Sarasota~

Amen.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
How about beatnix19?
(Or does he not want prayers? -- see now I'm all confused on who believes in God and wants this, and who doesn't....)

[Dont Know]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
You can call them good wishes, helpful energy vibes, holding someone in your thoughts, or prayers. I don't think it has to be a formal religious thing. It's magic, no matter what form it takes. You are basically hoping that by remembering someone and wishing them well, that the Universe will respond in like fashion. Everybody does this to some degree. So pray if that is your word and fashion, but if it is not, don't be put off by the practice.

It's a kindness, and a good thing, and it certainly causes no harm in the world. And perhaps (at least those of us who pray hope and believe so!) our longings will affect the Things that Are and change them into the Things We Hope To See.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to tell you, I don't think I'll use it. Maybe this is back to the cultural thing? Caring, friendly hugs are public and for all Hatrackers, but prayers are a bigger deal?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Paul Goldner? Shall we all pray for Paul? I'm sure he'd appreciate it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Noemon, PLEASE don't make this thread turn in a war.... please!

[Roll Eyes]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm pretty sure Noemon was being funny.

This is why Tom started putting the detestable "j/k [Smile] " at the end of everything.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Oh, if it wasn't clear, I was just joking about Paul. I certainly wasn't trying to start a fight.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Kat beat me to it; that's what I get for starting to post and then getting caught up with actual work.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, - I figured Noemon was kidding, but I didn't know if Paul would take it that way....

FG

[ February 06, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

katharina
Member # 827

Noemon's female?

My world no longer makes sense.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I think my wife's going to have an identity crisis when she finds this out!
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the kitchen with thee, Noemon!!
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

At least I can stop wearing this itchy fake goatee.

How will I explain the bald spot though?

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm sorry Noemon!! <where's that embarrassed smiley?>
oh, yeah [Blushing]
I'm always getting everyone all messed up. I'll go back up and edit my post.

FG

Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] No problem FG!

Actually, you'd be surprised how often I'm mistaken for a woman by waitstaff and the like. It's very strange. I swear, I'm not at all feminine looking!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How will I explain the bald spot though?
Birds looking for nesting material?

[ February 06, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's as good an explanation as any!
katharina
Member # 827

A Hatrack prayer list isn't a bad idea. I think it's the squigglies that bother me so much. A hug you can't do in person and must come up with the best possible substitute, but there's no value in a substitute for prayer. And it's a big enough to deal that if you want to express to someone that you are praying for them, the words are needed.

But a list is a good idea. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, when I was four or five, someone told me that was why my dad had a bald spot. I totally believed it for months, until I asked my mom where the birds were that kept taking Daddy's hair . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure everyone here read the last prayer thread. Anyway, I think that was more about the phrase "I'll pray for you" not being responded to with "Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that!"

Oh, and I agree that it is snarky to bring up praying for Paul Goldner. Anyway, I'm kind of uncomfortable with this concept. Since in my church we have an official prayer list.

[ February 06, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps an email list would be a little better?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.