FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not another thread about Bush!?

Author Topic: Not another thread about Bush!?
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
"It is worthwhile just looking at the deeds of accomplished persons for the purpose of knowing our own insufficiencies. But often this does not happen. For the most part, we admire our own opinions and become fond of arguing."

-- Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai

With all the recent threads about the (dis)like of President Bush, I tried to get involved and write some thoughts. I even read most of the threads, but every time I try to get involved politically, I inevitably feel like I've boarded a vessel that's taking on water far too quickly than I could ever hope to rectify by just bailing out a bucketful at a time -- and as far as that goes, I don't even have a bucket, just a spoon.

Of course, I feel that way about most things... [Angst]

(I'm only half-kidding)

I've never declared any political allegiance. I lean left on many issues but I'm staunchly conservative on many others. Actually, I'm conservative on all the issues that I think are borderline political/moral/religious issues -- the ones I think should probably be seperated from politics. Anyway, I've never liked Bush. During the election I predicted that if he were elected president we'd go to war. I honestly doubt we'd have invaded Iraq if Gore were our President. Of course, whoever our President was some reaction had to be made to 9/11, but I don't think all possible Presidents would have then gone on to Iraq.

Besides the war, which I wouldn't have had as many objections to had there been a better plan in effect, I've always viewed Bush as -- to be blunt -- an idiot. I can't say that I spend much time keeping up on all the facts, I just don't have enough time to keep up with everything. I try to listen to people I trust who follow politics and almost to a person they all have very serious criticisms of Bush.

But here's my real fear: if we elect someone else, in three years we'll have all the same problems with the new guy. Sure, the details will be different, but the fact is, he'll be a lousy President too. Am I just being too pessimistic?

It seems to me that our government is continually trying to treat cancer by administering a dose of aspirin at the first sign of any problem and damning the latter consequences. Eventually something nasty is going to happen with a treatement like that. But what can be done?

Aw, heck...

[The Wave]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There haven't been many lousy Presidents, really. To go backwards, Clinton was both a brilliant and highly effective politician (perhaps too much of a politician), Herbie was willing to do what was right despite it costing him the Presidency, Reagan was quite astute though a bit overwilling to spend IMO, Carter was probably the closest to lousy so far, but he's been pretty useful as an ex-President (and his Presidency wasn't all that bad, really ill-timed more than anything else), Ford was actually pretty decent considering his path to power, Nixon was highly effective if corrupt, LBJ was a brilliant man in an unfortunate time, and Kennedy set the path for much of the rest of the century's presidencies despite his short term and probably lowest personal morals of the lot so far.

If nothing else, W has been a very effective politician, though I suspect his position in history will be rather disparate from the acclaim some would pile at his feet. Siimilarly to Reagan, who will I think be remembered as a pretty decent President rather than the golden idol made of him now by many.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Speed,

I was thinking about Ghost Dog and another quote from that on an earlier version of my post. I couldn't find the one I was thinking of, but I did find this one and my post went in a different direction. I love that movie. Jarmusch is brilliant.

Hmmm...

::lightbulb::

You are all now witness to my official write-in campaign for Jim Jarmusch as President!

[Razz]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

fugu,

Maybe we remember our former Presidents more fondly than we percieved them while they were in office. For my entire life (now 23 years) all I can remember is criticism and complaints about the current President from nearly every corner. Maybe I've just been listening to all the whiners... [Dont Know]

fugu13
Member # 2859

How would we keep a president in line if we didn't criticize him at every turn [Big Grin] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

True enough. Which brings me to the point of my topic; we seem to spend so much time arguing about our elected officials -- especially Presidents -- when I worry that bigger issues are being patched up with a splot of glue here and a strip of duct tape there (I mean, the stuff will fix anything, almost, but a multi-billion dollar debt? I don't know...) instead of being properly addressed.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, All Hail Ronaldus Magnus! [Razz] [Big Grin] [Razz]

[ February 04, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Rhaegar The Fool ]

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

See, that would be funnier if I didn't know you actually did see him as myth embodied.
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't I see him as a deity embodied in a man with excess chin fat.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.