FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Long Lost Friends

Author Topic: Long Lost Friends
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past three days, I've been contacted by two different people from whom I hadn't heard in many, many years.

The first found me through Classmates.com. I had a crush on her back around the time I graduated high school, and had asked her to marry me, though in a "we're going out" sense rather than a legal one. She's still down in San Diego, but moving to Texas in a matter of months, and wanted to reconnect with some old friends before she left. The last we talked, as far as we can recall, was in 1990.

The second, I think, found me through Hatrack. I had introduced him to OSC (via Ender's Game) back when we both worked at ComedySportz in Santa Barbara (he an actlete, I the house manager). He read about a Michael Sloan with the nickname Papa Moose, and assumed it likely that it was me (I just went by Moose back then, since I didn't yet have kids). Since he e-mailed me, I assume he came here and looked at my profile to get my e-mail address. I probably last spoke with him in 1994 or 1995.

Both started with questions. The friend from school asked if I remembered who she was (I did). The friend from ComedySportz asked if I was the right Moose (I am). Actually he just sent me another e-mail, and he's thinking that his (presumably) son who is due in six weeks may now, in honor of my trivia contest performance about which he just read, be named "Adam Moose King." I'm about to write back and suggest that this may not be the best idea he's ever had.

Anyway, I am really jazzed to have heard from these long lost friends, and I wanted to share that with you folks. Maybe in the spirit of Icarus' thread, your "Random Act of Kindness" can be reconnecting with an old friend.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely a good feeling when someone from your past reaches out and finds you again. Even if you don't remember them. [Smile] That's happened a couple of times to me. That's a strange feeling.

There are a few I'd like to reach from my past.

~goes off to ponder this big step~

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? Personally, I think having a middle name of 'Moose' would totally rock.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Just happened to speak with Mama Squirrel on the phone. In a rather strange (frequish, almost) coincidence, she remembers the ComedySportz member who wrote -- and said she had a crush on him. More the "hey that guy is cute" kind of crush than the "we should date and probably end up getting married" type, though. She can't recall actually meeting him -- just admiring from afar. The things I learn about my wife sometimes, I tell ya....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Well, it's a better first name, though -- I was gonna recommend "Moose Adam King" instead.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That is SO cool that they contacted you. That says a lot about the impact you must have had on their life while you were friends -- that they wanted to renew contact...

I sure have some people from the past I would like to contact....but don't know where to start..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
All of my friends, save my best friend who I actually talk to more than anyone up here, are all within a ten mile radius. I haven't spoken to a few in a while, but I can speak to them, so I don't consider them lost. Finding old friends is probably just another thing I'm too young to do. *sigh*
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, it's a better first name, though -- I was gonna recommend "Moose Adam King" instead.
But then people might call him MAK. Who would want to go around being called something like that?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think all the children born as a result of CT's matchmaking activities should have the middle-name "Moose"

Of course, if any of them have the LAST name Moose, then someone's in SERIOUS trouble with a certain squirrel I know.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.