Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jerky

Author Topic: Jerky
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to make beef jerky. Besides the fact that it's one of the greatest inventions ever, making it myself will be infinitely cheaper than buying the prepackaged stuff. So I'm asking for tips, recipes, horror stories...anything that those of you who have made your own jerky can contribute. Thanks.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm, jerky. I LIVED off jerky when I was working in Alaska.

Reindeer jerky, in fact.

DIE, RUDOLPH!

That's my only horror story.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
*horrified*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

Oh dear. I'm sorry.

It was tasty, tho. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

...but...but...it was the only food in the train station where I was working that didn't require a microwave!

The fact that it was oh-so-delicious was also nice. [Smile]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
My family has a machine for making dessicated goods like that; its pretty simple, basically a system of enclosed racks with heating coils underneath. Works well though.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Alas, I have no such machine. I am stuck with a normal gas oven.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy Tofurky jerky at our local co-op! I haven't tried it, but I'm definitely curious. [Smile]
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make jerky in a regular oven, my brother did it once, it was very good. I'll get linky after I take the dogs out and get some coffee.

If you can't wait, you might try searching on allrecipes.com. [Smile]

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

I can't beLIEVE this thread didn't get more replies. [Smile]
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Where will you be getting the meat from? Buying it precut? Or getting your own?

My husband makes jerky, but usually from animals he's shot and slaughtered himself. If you go this route, the rib meat lends itself nicely to jerky strips. Elk is one of the best meats for it, with its natural leanness. Just be careful with that skinning knife so you don't ruin all the meat. [Smile]

I love jerky!!!!! Also dried squid. Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand flank steak is good because you can slice perpendicular to the grain for less stuck in the teeth fibers. You don't want a cut with very much fat in it. The trouble I found is I don't think I marinated the meat long enough.

Flank steak will cut best if semi-frozen. Then marinade the pieces for a while and dry in a low oven, the pieces laid not touching, probably overnight. I don't remember how long I did it that didn't seem right. KC masterpiece teriyaki seemed like a good idea but I think it was too sweet. Tri tip steak was too fatty. That was my only foray in to jerky. I know how to make granola too, but seldom get around to it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

Sachiko, I have not decided how to go about getting the meat. I'm not sure I have the skill to slice it right, and I haven't had time to find out if a butcher would do it and where the nearest butcher is located. I'm also still looking into the cut of beef.

I absolutely love deer jerky. We had it every year when I was a kid and my mom and brothers still hunted. Sadly, none of my family or friends hunt anymore, which is why I'm taking matters into my own hands. (and why I posted this thread)

[edit for spelling]

[ January 31, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.