FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » artistic talent is a gift from god.

Author Topic: artistic talent is a gift from god.
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/01/26/pope.breakdancers.ap/index.html

awesome.

i am not quite sure why, but i felt like i was watching an episode of ninja turtles when i was reading this article. [Smile]

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
It seriously looks like an onion article.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[sarcasm]In another effort to show how hip and up-to-date the Catholic Church has become recently, 15 top-ranked Cardinals performed the Macarena in front of an appreciative crowd.[/sarcasm]

Actually, I truly do like this pope and wish that he were not so frail. Even with his ailments, though, he manages to get around and be a messenger of hope and peace. And it is pretty cool that he got to make the point about artistic talent.

Thanks for posting it!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of a Liberal Education class in Art where pretty much every discussion devolved to Michael Jordan being the great artist of our age.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

-o-

". . . and whoever discovers it in himself has a certain obligation: to know that he cannot waste this talent, but must develop it."

Sobering.

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't been paying much attention, BobScopatz.

Is the Pope Catholic? Nope.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

[Confused]

Oh dear, where is the couch?

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
::pats Ick::

That article makes me happy [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. Happy and GUILTY, because I'm supposed to be working on my ahhhrt right now.

Hey, someone wish me luck in getting a publisher to print my (yet to be completed) comic! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD LUCK! That's so exciting [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Myr. [Smile] I have to actually FINISH the comic of course, and my incapacitating laziness is always getting in the way. But I'm getting there! *goes off to draw more*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously doubt this was an attempt to appear "hip." I think the Pope just appreciated the dancing, and it was unusal enough for CNN to do an article.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
And the breakdancers just happened to be performing there? Right-o.

Seriously, things aren't either PR gimmicks or genuine. No doubt the Pope actually quite liked the breakdancing. No doubt he also realised that it would be desirable PR-wise to be seen as liking it. What's the problem?

[ January 28, 2004, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: ae ]

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity, what about unartistic talent? I have come to the conclusion that the only talent I really have is that I have no talent, and can find ways to capitalize off that.
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha. Take that, John Lithgow's character from Footloose. (although he was some sort of protestant, wasn't he?)
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the pope is actually a person I'd love to photograph. Not stalker photograph, but true portraits. So much around him and HIM and everything...and the challenge of capturing who he truly is when he body is so broken. I may diagree with him on a lot of issues, but reading about his life, he is a brilliant, thoughtful man.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

ae, I've been to a papal mass--not that this makes me an expert on anything--and what I've noticed is that people routinely honor the Pope, whether he is traveling or at home, with performances and things like that. So actually, I do very much doubt that this was organized as a publicity stunt by the Vatican. I suspect that the people in this youth program asked to be allowed to perform for the Pope, and the media found the performance and his reaction interesting. Keep in mind that this Pope has never shown interest in the kind of PR you seem to believe this is. Heck, this is the guy who comes to the US and reiterates, in front of protesters, his stance that priests should not marry and women should not be ordained. I really think he could care less about appearing hip. On the other hand, before becoming a bishop, Wojtila (sp?) worked with children. He's always shown a soft spot for kids, and appreciating young people performing for him is perfectly in character for him.

[ January 28, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was joking...
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed that Bob. I was just offering a reason why CNN might carry the story.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.