FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tax question

Author Topic: Tax question
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
How much money can you make before you have to pay taxes? What i mean is there a cutoff like you make x amount and then you have to pay taxes , but if you make less than that amount then you dont? [Dont Know]
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Varies by state. As for federal taxes -- if you make less than $7,800 in wages and total income, you should be home free, assuming you're single and not dependent.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on a lot of things. In order for someone here to help you with that question (won't be me) we need to know a few facts.

How old are you, do you have a job, are you a full or part time college student, are your parents claiming you as a dependent. Are you single or do YOU have any dependents like a spouse or kids. Are you blind. Have you filed taxes before. Do you have state taxes too. Hum, what else? I'm sure I'm missing stuff and asked a few unnecessary questions.

Oh, and are you asking if you need to file at all, or are you asking if will you owe taxes?

[ January 27, 2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- there is a lot of difference to your question between whether you need to FILE your tax forms, or whether you actually are going to have to PAY taxes.

You still need to file -- I don't remember the minimum -- I think I can find it. My son only made $2000 in his part-time job last year but had to file. Didn't have to pay any in, but had to file.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How old are you, do you have a job, are you a full or part time college student, are your parents claiming you as a dependent. Are you single or do YOU have any dependents like a spouse or kids. Are you blind. Have you filed taxes before. Do you have state taxes too. Hum, what else? I'm sure I'm missing stuff and asked a few unnecessary questions.

Oh, and are you asking if you need to file at all, or are you asking if will you owe taxes?

25,yes,no,no,yes,no,not legaly,no,i think so,yes,and yes oh and im from Arkansas if that helps

[ January 27, 2004, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

need any more info just ask

[ January 28, 2004, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Wonko, tax codes can be complicated. I'd suggest going to a tax help night at your local library.

At the very least you doubtfully owe any more taxes. Usually when one is making near the minimum withholding takes care of it all.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Get the program TurboTax, wonko. It'll walk you through all this and let you file electronically. It's easy.
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You are not required to file a tax return this year unless you made over $3050 ($400 for self employed due to SE tax). However, if you made less than that and had taxes held out, you would want to file anyway to get your money back. In addition, if you're over 25 or have kids, you would want to file to get EIC.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about...and now, I'm off to work for one of those tax prep chains...see y'all later!

Edit: Oh, and if you (or anyone on here) wants a free review of your tax situation, or help actually doing your taxes, just send me an e-mail.

[ January 28, 2004, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Boon ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
TaxCut's better, Ayelar.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Boon, tax question on the way via e-mail. Thanks!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Grumble] My second W-2 hasn't showed up yet. If it doesn't get here by the end of the week I'm going to be upset. I use TurboTax myself. I also had everything already entered as close estimates via our final pay stubs for the year and am just waiting for the actual W-2 arrival to confirm numbers. Then I file the federal online through the program.

You get one federal filing free via a rebate program with Turbo Tax if you actually buy the software. I would imagine you can file federal taxes online with TaxCut as well. It costs $14.95, so if that is a significant percentage of your return snail mail is probably more cost effective. We snail mailed Steve's state taxes for that exact reason.

You get your refunds much faster via internet filing. I think I filed Steve's last Friday (the day his W-2 arrived) and he is due to have his return auto deposited into his checking account by Feb 2. When we e-filed last year, we still had to send in an actual signed paper with authentic signatures, but this year since we did it last year we don't.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother in law said on the irs website you can get a listing of programs that may allow you to file for free.

Go to www.taxfreedom.org for Intuit's online program that many low-income people can use for free to prepare and file their taxes.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.