FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The world, the flesh, and the Amish

Author Topic: The world, the flesh, and the Amish
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28406-2004Jan18.html

quote:

"Amish in the City" is only the working title for the new reality series that's set to air this summer. It's based on the Amish community's coming-of-age experience known as rumspringa (the word means "running wild") in which Amish teens leave the fold and intentionally subject themselves to temptation to test their religious convictions, before deciding whether to join the Amish church. If they return to the flock, only then are they baptized into the Amish church.

Yeah, voyeurism is petty and CBS is making money off of moral turpitude.

My eye, however, was caught by the above paragraph. I'm not sure, but I think it(in a non-televised fashion) might be a good idea. The Amish are a cloistered community that asks members to renounce the world. Isn't it better that they have members that know what they are renouncing? Doesn't this make their community stronger? I think it does, but am curious to hear what other people have to say. Is it better to know temptation than to not know temptation?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the Amish did something like this anyway, that there was a period during which their teens were encouraged to experiment and make sure that the Amish life was really what they wanted. I'll ask C tonight; she's studied the Amish in a couple of "Althernate religious movement" type classes, and probably knows a lot more about it than I do.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
The article says that they do....
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In central Illinois, there's actually quite a lot of drug-related crime caused by Amish kids on runabout getting involved in crystal meth gang wars. Seriously.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
rumspringa
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I wound up having a similar experience though it wasn't culturally sanctioned. My parents separated and I became the ward of my 25 year old sister. She wasn't living a wild life, but I was largely unsupervised.

I often think that if I had spent my minor years at home and gone straight into BYU and then marriage, I might have ended up much more rebellious like my sister. It only really worked out for my youngest sister (out of 9 kids) but she always was the more normal one. All the rest of us have gone through some kind of break either from the educational track or the religious track. (the youngest excepted because he is neither married nor done with college.)

Still, I don't think it's good for illegal behavior to be expected. They are choosing between American culture and Amish. I don't see how that entails illegal drug use, underage drinking, or (I'm presuming) statutory rape. I think a lot more of them would leave if they got a trip rich in cultural experience rather than orgies and jail time.

[ January 23, 2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I live near Amish and went to school with many of them. (most quit at 8th grade).

They were the best hosts of the huge beer bashes that we all snuck off to in high school....

But overall I really admire them -- on the whole, they take excellent care of their farms and are very community-oriented. They take care of each other.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, pooka. It's not making the comparison they say it is.

[ January 23, 2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: lcarus ]

Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Rumspringa? With enough Rum, yes I'd watch Jerry Springer.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.