FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now I need some tech help- AOL and Airport

Author Topic: Now I need some tech help- AOL and Airport
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Powerbook and am trying to configure it to use AOL with our Airport. The OS is OSX Panther; the connection is a dialup connection.

I know that the Airport Base station is working and the Airport software on the laptop is working because I can dial up to a server at work, and surf the web fine.

And I can dial up to AOL, too-- but cannot surf the internet. I can get logged into AOL, send mail from my AOL account, but any time I try to launch a web page, I get an 'Unidentified User' or some such message. I believe the error code is 501.

Call me mystified. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott,

This might help:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106686

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Yeah, I used that to set it up. . . [Frown] It still won't process web pages. . .

[Dont Know]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

So after some research, it looks like the Panther upgrade is somehow incompatible with AOL over airport. Lots of users have reported a problem, but there's no fix yet. Until Apple releases a patch, I'm afraid you'll have to plug the Powerbook in with a phone cord. D'oh!

Call call call apple's support line, though... the more irate customers they hear from, the faster they'll get this fixed.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

I neglected to say that you could also downgrade the powerbook to Jaguar, which would let you use AOL over the airport. Not so much fun to downgrade, though.
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
This would be so much easier if you were using Windows XP. [Wink]
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Ayelar, can you link me to some of the sites you've seen? I Googled, but didn't see anything. . .
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm really getting ticked at Panther's networking bugs. I can't understand how Apple broke something this time out....

(Note: this comes after having to explain yet again to our graphic design department that we aren't deploying Panther to them yet because it's broken, not because we hate them.)

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac tech support for AOL: 1 888 265 8007

Thats as much help as I can give, and it sucks, so you can basically just ignore this post.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I have noticed that their built-in VPN support isn't compatible somehow with my school's wireless network, and now I can't use the Cisco software to log in because it's not compatible with Panther.

*frustrated*

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

Scott, everything I found was gleaned from the support discussion forums at apple.com/support. There's a forum for airport, and if you search for "aol panther" in there, you'll see plenty of results. No one seems to know what to do about it, though one possible lead might be a blocked port... doesn't seem too likely, though.
Scott R
Member # 567

Thanks, Ayelar. . . found it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.