FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zgator? Any other Civil Engineers?

Author Topic: Zgator? Any other Civil Engineers?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help! Ahh! I talked to a CE counselor today and worked out two schedules. In one schedule, I have a moderate time and graduate in 4 years with 2 minors, math and computer science. In number two, I take a rather difficult (though not impossible) schedule and graduate in 3 years with no minors. In both cases, the emphasis is structural.

In terms of actual career choices, I haven’t defined anything specifically, but for the most part I’m interested in things in which their function is their structure, bridges dams, not houses or skyscrapers. Also, whatever I do in the future, I have little interest in research or teaching as of right now.

So here’s the question, I can do a few things. I can take either one of those two paths and then go get a master’s, though it seems like the minors will do me much less good when I have a master’s. Or, I could get one of those two without the masters.

Of course, I could also get a Doctor’s, but it seems like that’s a bad idea based on what I want to do (though feel free to suggest that too). I plan on getting an internship/job each summer, though this summer is likely to be in programming, the other summers would be in CE.

So, what advice do you have for me? Being out there, what helps and what is unnecessary?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, personally, I'd say go for a bachelor's and take the full 4 years to do it. Take some other, non-disciplinary classes if you like (do the minor thing if you want). Myself, I took a lot of other classes, but not enough in any one subject to actually earn a minor, though I was close on a couple. Minors don't really make much difference, aside from having something to point to on occasion.

Speaking to your choice of specialization, I can't say I am a big fan of structures, as it just seemed too cookie-cutter for me, but looking at your interests, I might suggest a solid soils background (keeping in mind I am a soils engineer), and maybe hydraulics too. Nothing is worse than a structural engineer who just can't understand the concept of soil pressures.

A master's is also a really good idea in todays workplace. If you don't get one now, you may find yourself going back in a few years, since CE is such a broad spectrum field, the best way to get a good feel for any of the subject matter is to get a master's degree.

-Mike

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

(Still thinking about what HC has said, but realizing that I forgot something)

There are two reasons to get out of college faster. I recognize that it is only one year, and possibly a year I would regret not taking classes. The reasons to go for the three years: money. I'm not really hard up for cash, so I can afford 4 years, but you must remember that it is over $20,000 a year to go to Purdue. Like I said, I wont have to take out loans to get it, but that doesn't mean it's not spending money. Reason two: I have every intention of having... other concerns at that point, and would like a job as soon as possible.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peter the bookie
Member # 3270

- posted      Profile for peter the bookie           Edit/Delete Post 
*wink* *wink*

*nudge* *nudge*

[Wink] [Wink]
[Laugh] [Laugh]

Posts: 318 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reason two: I have every intention of having... other concerns at that point, and would like a job as soon as possible.
First off, whoa. Please tell me you didn't go and get yourself pregnant at Wenchcon.

Next, HC said it about as well as I could. I would suggest the longer route, but it's certainly not critical if money's an issue. If you're thinking about bridge work, then I second HC's recommendation to take several soils classes if possible. The interaction between structure and foundations is more critical on something like a bridge than a typical building.

I called a couple of structural engineers that I work with and they didn't think it was necessary to get a Masters degree to get a job. If it's similar to my field, though, it could limit how far you can go until you can get one. The engineers at my company that don't have a Masters are limited to the basic projects. We're a big believer in knowing WHAT the computer program is doing, not just how to run it.

Most companies will pay your tuition if you go back to school.

I think you're definitely on the right track with the summer jobs. The real world is a lot different than school. Real life engineering stresses things that aren't necessarily stressed in school and vica versa. Companies like knowing that you've been exposed to those differences before they hire you.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, it sounds like you both think it's best to graduate, get a job, and then go back to get a Master's after employed?

If you were hiring, would you much care if the interviwee had a math major? And of course same question with CS? In other words, would the 4th year mostly just make it easier for me (schedual wise) and be a good experience, or would I get a substantial upgrade when looking for jobs?

[EDIT: And, though I appreciate your concern zgator, I am in fact, not currently with child. I'll be sure to let you know when that changes. [Razz] ]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ January 23, 2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
General question:

For CE, what is the advantage of having a Masters if you get your PE?

Steve is doing roads working for IDOT and it seems like they value time in DOT experience far more than than the degrees. In fact he may be getting paid slightly more than the guy with the masters he works with because he has time in DOT intern experience which they counted.

But as far as signing off on projects they care about the PE infinitely more than the Master's from what I have observed.

My dad has a masters in Civil/Environmental which counts as a civil degree but from what I remember he spent most of his thesis playing with fruit flies. He also is a licensed surveyor since he passed the PE test in CA when they were both combined. He's never used it but considering using it now, even though he's having to relearn a lot of the surveying from scratch.

But I know the PE means the most to him. It doesn't seem to matter as much in my field. There are only two or three guys in my entire company that have PEs. I'm still planning on getting it though and taking the Mech E test to prove that even though I'm a Chem E I can pass it. I am still kicking myself (though not excessively) for not taking an extra year to finish my second bachelors rather than attempting a Master's that didn't work out.

Now I'm contemplating an MBA, but I don't know if I've recovered from my academic burnout enough yet.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Went I got my BSCE, I started looking for a job even though I was still considering staying for my Masters. I was told by several companies, including my current company, that I would be relegated to doing staff level work til I got my Masters.

It depends on your specialty. Geotech requires some education you don't typically get during the BSCE to better understand things like slope stability, settlement, piles, etc. You get a basic understanding during your BSCE, but not enough to completely grasp complex problems.

I think most schools spend more time teaching about structural and roads than geotech. I had about 2 geotech classes for my BSCE and 6 or 7 structural.

One thing to consider regarding the PE is that in some states, like Florida, your Masters degree counts as 1 year of experience. You need to 4 years in Florida til you can sit for the exam.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Interesting, Steve was allowed to specialize in geotech and toook 3 or 4 grad level electives in it. Was like 1/3 of the way to the masters if he had decided to stay because that department let them double count. Guess in spite of ABET it does vary widely in different Universities.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Don't structurals get paid considerably more?

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

I only had one grad level elective I could take in Geotech for my BS. It varies considerably. UCF right here in Orlando doesn't do much at all relative to Geotech.

And yes, I think structurals get paid more which is wrong. Only CE's who can't cut it in Geotech go that route.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Was thinking about this while running Instron tests. I'm pretty sure a Master's is going to get you farther than all those minors Hobbes, however fun they might be. Why not get through in 3 and then have that 4th year for a Masters? I know you can do a Masters in Civil in like a year and a half at Purdue.

I am looking at it from the standpoint of amount of effort expended versus future potential income. Yes it isn't everything but it does make a difference in the long run, especially if you are planning on having a family which is expensive (particularly if one parent stays home) and every dime helps!

AJ

zgator
Member # 3833

I'm sorry, I did forget to answer the question about the minors.

AJ is right, a Masters will get you farther than the minors will.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.