FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Daily Show, the State of the Union, and John McCain

Author Topic: The Daily Show, the State of the Union, and John McCain
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
So I, a patriotic Canadian, watched the State of the Union address. At least some of you probably know what I thought about it and about the President in general. The next night, I watched the Daily Show (a comedic news show for left-leaning folks like myself) and just about killed myself laughing. First up was a comparison of Bush's assessment of Iraq's WMD capabilities in last year's SoU and this one.

Last year it was hundreds of gallons of sarin, VX, and other chemical weapons, as well as an advanced 'nucular' program; this year it was "...dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities..."

Naturally the comedians had a field day, and it was really quite amusing.

Next up was an interview with John McCain, who clearly thought Bush's spending had gone off the deep end -- $2 million to study the effect of cow flatulence on the ozone layer was my favourite of the examples he cited (though cows are in point of fact a pretty substantial source of atmospheric methane, both through flatulence and manure). There was a delicious little exchange between Jon Stewart (the host) and Senator McCain that went a little like this:

Jon: "So I hear you'll be in New Hampshire soon."
John: "Yes, that's true, I'll be in New Hampshire-"
Jon: "Supporting which Democratic candidate?"

So. My point? Watch the Daily Show on Comedy Central. It's hilarious. Sadly it's only half an hour. I was disappointed, though, that they didn't use this snippet from this year's SoU:

"Key provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire next year." (Applause.) I think that was my personal favourite moment from the SoU.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Key provisions of the Patriot Act are set to expire next year." (Applause.) I think that was my personal favourite moment from the SoU.
Twinky -- mine too. Although I wished they'd left the camera on Ted Kennedy for just about the entire thing...

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I watch the Daily Show once in a while(I love it, and don't really know why i don't watch it more), and happened to catch it last night.

The show was hilarious. And i really liked the John McCain interview. I think i'd vote for him on the strength of that alone. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I am an addicted Daily Show watcher, and about as ferverent a republican as you will ever find. I don't find it to be left leaning at all, just flat out funny. It insults reps and dems equally. I thought their comments about deans Yeeeeegah! and Kennedy's frantic yelling (Hes Gunna Blow!) compared to Kerry's monotone were hilarious, and Ialso chuckled my fair part at the SOTU jokes.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'd say it's probably a really good thing that twinky and Rhaegar BOTH kind of feel like the Daily Show understands their point of view. Means it's not a bitter, angry show with an axe to grind. It actually takes a middle road that appeals to everyone on the grounds that people with power are idiots [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Its just funny, it takes all these people who everyone is supposed to fear and respect (snickers at the thought of the 23 dem candidates) and makes them all look like complete fools, it is extremely refreshing. Yheir defention ofmid term elections "Yhe Most Importatnt Election...... Since The Last One....." I love it, I truly do.

Rhaegar

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely funny first, political a distant second. And it's there to make fun of other news shows just as much as it is to make fun of the people who are in the news. And I think that Stewart handles the interviews with the serious politicians rather well.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
The onion fits in this catagory of un-biased humor as well. Who ever is in power will get a thrashing. It doesn't seem like they have an axe to grind.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

And thats exactly how it should be done Robiespiiere. I can't spell.... yeah.....

Rhaegar

jehovoid
Member # 2014

The Onion also makes up stories completely out of thin air, which gives them an added level of absurdity to their humor.
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to say that Stewart has in fact conducted some of the best political interviews I've ever seen on TV.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT [Eek!]

The stories in the Onion are not factual?

You LIE.

They are as true as many leading news publications, like the star or the inquirer.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Robiespiiere. I can't spell.... yeah.....

Its right there on your screen...
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart fans, check out the transcript from his interview by Bill Moyers.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
In this week's onion:
quote:
Bush Vows To Discover, Legalize Aliens On American, Martian Soil

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom D,

I agree with you about the interviews. he has some very good ones. One of my favorites was Madeline Albright's. She told a story about Arafat and Sharon at Camp David, and how Clinton ditched her ther with them,. They did not speak to each other directly. They would say "Tell him that I did this," when they were in the same room. Cracked me up.

My favorite show so far was the other night. Michael Jackson's look-alike was being interviewd by one of the fake Dateline dudes. The pretend discussion expanded to include other look-alikes, and how they fare when the celebrity they look like is in trouble. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhaegar and Robespierre -- good point. I agree that the Daily Show lampoons whoever happens to be in power. [Smile] The Onion, too.

And I'm certainly not above making fun of left-wing politicians myself [Big Grin]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jehovoid
Member # 2014

I was only trying to say that the Daily Show has slightly more substance than The Onion, mostly because they take stories that are currently being covered in the news and they use actual footage that you would see on other news channels. And unlike The Onion, it's a daily thing (hence the name), and so they are able to react to the real events as they're happening in a way that The Onion can't. But yes, the special reports that the other correspondents do are very much like The Onion.

Okay, I'm definitely talking way too seriously about these things.

My favorite Onion headline this week:

quote:
African American Neighborhood Terrorized by Ask Murderer

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.