FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Uncomfortable around the Cheney dinner table

Author Topic: Uncomfortable around the Cheney dinner table
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Vice President Dick Cheney has stated that he would support the gay marriage ban amendment if Bush brought it up. Cheney's daughter is a lesbian, an activist in the Colorado gay community, and part of the Bush/Cheney reelection campaign team.

I can understand that a person in Cheney's position might have to go against their beliefs to support their boss, but I'd hate to be in the same room with father and daughter for a while...

[ January 12, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Vaclav Havel said that politics is about compromise. I've come to accept this as true. Thus, if I were elected, I'd most likely approve day-after drugs if I could get approval on a bill stopping abortions after the first trimester.

It isn't perfect-- the idea of willfully destroying a child is abhorrent to my principles-- but I'm willing to compromise to save what I can.

At least, that's the way I feel tonight.

I wonder if Cheney's daughter has struck a similar bargain.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Cheney
Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I've wondered about this (gay issues and Cheney, that is -- not the biting-heads-off-bats thing).

Anyone have any sense on how Bush/Cheney has done on gay issues? Have they helped gays any, or have they actively promoted anti-gay measures? (Or have they just slowed the promotion of anti-gay measures?)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thus, if I were elected, I'd most likely approve day-after drugs if I could get approval on a bill stopping abortions after the first trimester.
You make a good case, Scott. Guess I know who I'll be voting for this November.

Scott R in '04. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how many of these conservatives have gay relatives. Especially when they most hard core among them say that gayness is caused by parenting kids wrong.
[Confused]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
That is wierd.

Scott R. For President!

That might just be a better vote than Cthulu ("Why vote for a lesser evil?").

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I could never vote for Scott R. I can't tell when he's being sarcastic. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

In this case, I'm not being sarcastic. It would go against my larger, uncompromising nature, but while IN public office, you have to compromise.

A fact that I think is lost on many religious politicos.

:shrug:

That's the way I feel this morning. Who knows if I could actually justify my stance when faced with the capability to make it real?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Vaclav Havel said that politics is about compromise.

Velvet revolution, I like it.

However, when it comes to enforcing the constitution, there can be no compromise. There is no authority located anywhere in the constitution for the government to ban gay marriages. If anything, it is a state issue.

Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Gephardt also has a gay daughter, and seeing that politics make strange bedfellows.....

I'm just sick and wrong.

The Bush Administration has not done anything for Gay rights or the homosexual community. They have promoted a constitutional definition of marriage that prohibits gay marriages, and fought the Supreme Court when it struck down an anti-sodomy law last year.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
The children of strong conservatives go completely liberal (Cheney, Gephardt's daughters), and the children of free spirits are horrified with their parents and marry young (Kate Hudson). I'm not surprised that the children of people of strong opinions live lives completely incompatible with those opinions.

Heck, half the reason I bought an Altima was to annoy my dad, who wanted me to buy a Ford Thunderbird.

Before I get pied/egged, of course I don't think that is the only reason. Human beings are complex, and their are a thousand motivations that go into every action.

In another comment that will not win me friends or influence people, maybe the politicians are strengthened in their beliefs because they have seen their children try it and they can see their children are not happy?

Or, maybe changing and compromising this belief means a backing down of sorts to their children, and they have not discovered a way to do that and keep their pride/self image.

There could be lots of reasons.

[ January 13, 2004, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Javert Hugo ]

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING: Slightly off-topic

Can anyone explain to me what the basis and justification behind such an amendment would be, anyway? Why is this worthy of a Constitutional amendment?

-me

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It "deserves" a Constitutional amendment because people are coming to realize that denying same-sex couples the right to civil marriage is in fact unconstitutional, so those people who are determined to continue to deny this right are gearing up to change the Constitution.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
However, when it comes to enforcing the constitution, there can be no compromise. There is no authority located anywhere in the constitution for the government to ban gay marriages. If anything, it is a state issue.
So why do we continue to hang on to a 200+ year old document that was written in vastly different times?

[Big Grin]

Robespierre
Member # 5779

- posted      Profile for Robespierre   Email Robespierre         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So why do we continue to hang on to a 200+ year old document that was written in vastly different times?

Because the concept of personal freedom is still a vital one to the survival of our country.
Posts: 859 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
He's being funny. That's an argument some people use for ignoring the Bible. [Smile]
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, shooting down the Constitution AND the Bible is going win you lots of friends at cocktail parties.

But seriously, if they did successfully ban sodomy, as they tried in my current state of Texas, who in their right mind is going to enforce it? I mean, if I was a police officer, and I got a report of sodomy taking place somewhere, I'd probably just pull over and slash my tires and say I got a flat. No WAY am I breaking out the cuffs for that. There has to be a better felony going on somewhere. Whatever happened to arson?

Allright. I'm done with my bad joke now. My apologies.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Many places banned sodomy, including Texas. Of course, the SC struck it down, when someone did try to enforce it. In fact, they struck down pretty much any attempt to ban sexual practices that are not otherwise objectionable in the bedroom.

[ January 13, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Also its worth pointing out that we definitely don't follow the Constitution in the same way any more. Our interpretation of it has changed considerably.

Some would argue our interpretation of the Bible has likewise changed considerably with time.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

:devil's advocate:

The Constitution doesn't guarentee personal freedoms. By enumerating freedoms in the Bill of Rights, the Constitution actually LIMITS freedoms. If nothing about religion, etc., was stated, the message of the constitution would have been MUCH clearer-- anything not mentioned by the Constitution was a right, or subject to legislation by the State, not Federal, government.

Robespierre
Member # 5779

quote:

the Constitution actually LIMITS freedoms. If nothing about religion, etc., was stated, the message of the constitution would have been MUCH clearer--

This doesn't follow. What would could be clearer than
quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If such things were left unsaid, then, as you pointed out, they would either be rights or the states would take them up. Instead, the framers intelligently realized that certain rights(those above being 1 instance of 10) need to be inviolable under any circumstances and could not leave it to the states to secure their freedom.

(edited for spellink)

[ January 13, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Robespierre ]

fugu13
Member # 2859

I know you're being the devil's advocate, but the things that always peeve me about that statement are:

That the bill of rights explicitly makes clear there are other rights available not enumerated (see: #9).

And that many of the rights are those that could be limited by the government under the powers granted elsewhere in the constitution were they not enumerated (see: #1-8), and so would not be protected were they not enumerated.

Scott R
Member # 567

The people grant government power via the Constitution; the Bill of Rights turns that on its head by forcing the government to interpret the rights enumerated.
fugu13
Member # 2859

First, the government is not and has never been a monolithic entity. Most of the power to interpret rights rests with the courts, for instance.

Second, as the government is an embodiment of some of the powers of the people, it is only natural it has some ability to adjudge its own powers, as the people do.

Third, there's nobody else to do it, really. If a group is a representative of the entire people of the US, it is almost by definition a part of the government. If its not representative, it shouldn't be interpreting rights.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, some people are forgetting the following amendments:

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

---

Note especially the ninth. Though there is debate on what amendments 13-15 mean for the ninth.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The children of strong conservatives go completely liberal (Cheney, Gephardt's daughters), and the children of free spirits are horrified with their parents and marry young (Kate Hudson). I'm not surprised that the children of people of strong opinions live lives completely incompatible with those opinions.

Heck, half the reason I bought an Altima was to annoy my dad, who wanted me to buy a Ford Thunderbird.

Hehhehehehe. This is probably one of the reasons I found it so easy to convert to my husband's religion (Hedonistic Heathen). It annoys my parents AND my kids will probably be religious anyway. [Big Grin]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.