FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Announcing the Sakeriver Movie Awards

Author Topic: Announcing the Sakeriver Movie Awards
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd imagine that by now at least a few of you know that I write film reviews for my web site. Well, all the recent Golden Globes and Oscar talk got me to thinking: why not have my own movie awards?

Here's how it will work:

For the next seven days I will be accepting nominations for the following categories: Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Director, Film (Comedy), Film (Drama). Once the nominations period has ended, I will select the five nominations that I agree with most and will then allow everyone to vote on the winner.

So, I'm now officially taking nominations. Submit them via sMS private message (preferred) or email.

Right on!

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stuff [Smile]

I'll have to invest some thought into making a list. I don't suppose we could have a "hottest actress" category? [Wink]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
*pads off to go sMS Mike a choice*

Edit: shouldn't "Sakeriver" be "sakeriver"? [Big Grin]

[ January 12, 2004, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

::bump::

You can submit as few or as many nominations as you would like in any or all of the categories, and you don't need to submit them all at once. Unless you want to. In that case I require that you submit them all at once.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

::bump:: So far I've only gotten responses from 4 people, which has given me no more than two nominations in any category. Two of them are completely empty. I'm guessing there's not much interest? I'll leave it open until noon tomorrow (Pacific Time), just in case.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see enough movies last year to have an educated opinion.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

::bump::
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I admire your resolve in not pandering to the ROTK crowd. Though that was the only movie I saw in the last six months.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So how do you pronounce sakeriver?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
saw kerr eye vair ? I asked this once.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Watanabe!!! I agree with that much at least. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I was clear in my head that it's "sake" ("sock-ay," or Japanese wine) then "river," but now I'm unsure.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, CT's got the right of it (big surprise there, eh?). It's basically a translation of his last name, if I recall correctly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

Yes to Noemon and to CT.

If anyone is interested in seeing how it's spelled in kanji, here's a link I found a few months ago. I was quite surprised when I stumbled across that. No idea who owns it.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I sent my nominations in, and realized how few movies I've seen this year. Did any of you feel like your movies were all MEN this year? Master and Commander, LotR, Pirates... I couldn't think of actress nominations!!

It's a man's year it seems. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...

I always thought it was pronounced sahk ay river.

Nice list. I really wish I'd seen the Last Samurai. I wish I'd seen Master and Commander too. DVD's this summer will rock!

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice awards!

I really, really wish Johnny Depp and Keisha Castle Hughes would win.

Don't think it's going to happen though...

Given the Oscars aren't screened here till Monday night (Monday am US time) I'll have to boycott Hatrack if I want a suprise..

On a side note: I haven't seen Monster. But all the reviews I have seen seem to indicate that Charlize Theron's acting kudos is in part, if not mostly, centered on her physical transformation from a beautiful model to the overweight and ugly character.

So - why not just get an actress who isn't Hollywood beautiful and skinny to play the part in the first place?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I saw Monster last night, but haven't gotten around to writing my review yet. Juliette and I concluded that the ugly thing must be the reason for the hype. Not to say that she didn't do a good job. She did. It just wasn't an amazing performance.

As a side note, I don't think I would recommend the movie to Hatrack in general.

saxon75
Member # 4589

Oh, and regarding the pronunciation of my web site, there isn't actually an "ay" sound in Japanese. When you see the letter E, it's pronounced as "eh," like the short e sound in "pet," rather than the long a diphthong in "say." The best way I can think of to spell out the pronunciation is "sah-keh river."

Edit: The pronunciation symbols used at m-w.com would spell it as "sä-ke-'ri-v&r."

[ February 28, 2004, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: saxon75 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.