FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superbowl Parties

Author Topic: Superbowl Parties
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's having one? Or had one in the past? What advice can you offer?

By virtue of being the only bachelor male in the group who also has ample seating and a large TV (remember the 50" x 9' projection thingy??) I have decided that I should really be the one to host a Superbowl party this year.

The fact is, however, that I have never held one before.

And, at the risk of impugning my own manliness, I have never even attended a Superbowl party before.

So, I basically have 2 weeks to come up with ideas.

Does one decorate in the opposing team colors?

Are finger sandwiches too dainty? (I'm kidding)

If I buy more than one type of beer, what should I buy? And how much (per person)?

What do real men do during the half-time show? Is that when you fire up the grill and all go outside to smoke a cigar? Or do you flip to ESPN and watch the deconstruction of the first half? Or should I throw in a DVD of past Superbowls?

What are some good things to shout at the screen during the game?

Should I ask in advance who each person will be rooting for so I can divide the room and avoid a food fight? Or worse?

Do women generally come to these things? I was planning to invite a mixed crowd, but maybe all the women will beg off???

If women do attend, will the men be required to put pants on?

Can I reserve the right to refuse entry to anyone wearing face paint?

Can I still expect people to use a coaster?

Given the timing of the game, is it okay to have food other than Chex Mix? Like an actual meal?

Should I hide the knives?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
The superbowl already has everything it needs.

The Chiefs aren't in it.

Life is good.

Oh, yeah, Dick? It's called defense. Most teams have one. You should try to pick one up.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You should always have bratwurst, two different types of pizza, and chips & dip. It's not uncommon to expect guests to bring a dish, but you should provide alcohol unless you expressly ask them to bring their own. If women are present, you're probably going to wind up watching the halftime show AND the commercials; in my experience, this is why many women watch the Super Bowl in the first place.

One of those vibrating metal football games is a treat, and you should consider having cards or particularly non-brain-engaging board games available.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Soup.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Assemble several maps to local liquor stores. Should you run out of libations, while the women watch the half-time show the men go out and stock up for the second half.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Always, ALWAYS, have buffalo wings, popcorn, and chips. ALWAYS! Nothing like watching the Super Bowl while chomping on some hot wings. Mmmmm!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom... you mean there is another reason to watch the Superbowl other than the commercials and the halftime show! [Big Grin]

Heck... I don't even really watch the halftime show. I can think of better things to do... like checking on Hatrack.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[confession] I watch for the Bud Bowl.[/confession]

Ooooh, lookie!

PS: Bud Light so rawks. And it, like, totally encapsulates everything I believe in and, in fact, am -- it is my sine qua non, that without which I am not, the "nothingness" of my being and nothingness, if you will. Drive, direction, the will (yes) to power, and my sense of worthiness as a rational yet emotive creature. Oh god, I hope it wins this year.

[Big Grin]

CT (who does think SuperBowl parties are cool, especially if there's hummus)

PPS: Ooooh! Oooooh! Expect at least someone to be on an Atkinsy diet. Vegetable crudite, cheese wedges, and summer sausage may well be a come-from-behind upset.

(Go, Bud Light, go! Bring light into my miserable existence, allow me to hold up my head in pride! [Wink] )

[ January 12, 2004, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Expect at least someone to be on an Atkinsy diet."

At a football party in Texas?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes

(my Bud Light cheer)

Subtext: They're everywhere, Tom. Also, sex sells. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, my Superbowl party is no more. [Wall Bash]

I have to be in Georgia on February 1st by about 4:00 pm.

I may let my friends use my house for a party. But I won't be there.

[Cry]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Damn.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
One line description of Bob:

"Bob may let his friends use his house for a party. But he won't be there."

What a nice guy. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason (probably my being drunk at the moment), I thought "parties" didn't look right as the plural of "party", so I went to look it up. Of course, I'm wrong--but in my search, I learned that "party" is listed at dictionary.com as slang for "orgy".

Weird.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh man! That really changes the guest list, let me tell you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.