FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Remembering Foods Differently

Author Topic: Remembering Foods Differently
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about this.

I used to love bell peppers, in any which way they came. But then I ate a few slices once when I had a bad stomach flu, and ever since, just the sight of them makes me gag.

This has happened to me a couple of times. Does anybody know if there is a scientific chemical reason, or if it's just subconsious? And do you think it would be possible to use this to your advantage for dietary reasons? In other words, could you, say, eat a lot of sweets when you have a stomach flu, and, though it would take you longer to heal from the flu, in effect ween yourself off of sweets?

Not that I'm going to try, I just want to know if it's *possible*.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about an aversion therapy once where this lady ate a chocolate bar once a day every day for a month, but instead of swallowing she had to spit it out while looking at a mirror. She enjoyed it for 3 1/2 weeks but suddenly the aversion "took" and she could hardly bring herself to even unwrap it the last few days. I think there was some other therapy or hypnosis that went with it.

I used to be nauseated by the noises of Snood and Airburst (videogames) which were played a lot when I was pregnant. But I got over it a few months after the pregnancy ended.\

Certain stimuli can be linked to your subconscious in a way that bypasses reason. Actually, most stimuli are. And it is changeable and stuff. It is why it is illegal to use that stuff in advertising, because you really can make someone have a reaction without them knowing it, or retaining a conscious rememberance. Yeah, there is a lot of irrelevant symbolism that does go in. But I think there is a time threshold below which they can't flash an image because it produces a reaction but you can't even remember seeing it.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.