FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » California's Budget

Author Topic: California's Budget
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
California was hit the hardest by the dot-com burst and the subsequent 9/11 economic downturn. We face a 15 billion dollar budget, and a governor who ran a campaign on repealing taxes would have mitigated some of the deficit.

The governor proposed a 15 billion dollar bond measure. Now, I don't know how this works. Are we just writing ourselves an IOU? Granted, I think that with the critical mass of jobless bright people tinkering around, California will come up with the next big technological/economic growth engine, but what are the practical ramifications of ignoring a budget deficit that large? If there aren't any, why don't more people do it?

[ January 08, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't states required by most state constitutions to balance their own budget? They issue bonds for large projects that can't be covered in one year. Part of the reason the Fed government goes over so often is because they do not count the bonds they issue as outside the budget (roughly - forgive the generalities).

I would think the main difference between other bond issue and this proposed bond issue is that it isn't going for a specific, "one-time" project. Instead, it's to cover general operating costs, on top of the bond issues for large projects. It's like buying groceries with a credit card.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Argèn†~
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for Argèn†~           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
California was hit the hardest by the dot-com burst and the subsequent 9/11 economic downturn.
And I bet you live there, don't you? I've heard the "our state was hit the hardest" routine before. New York was hit the hardest. Texas was hit the hardest. Seriously, I don't know who to believe any more.
Posts: 346 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
California doesn't have a real budget deficit: $50billion more in taxes are leaving the state than are being returned in services.
What it has is a bunch of Republican-voting welfare states using the federal government to leech off of California's economy.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Texas was NOT hit the hardest. We were hit, but Dallas weathered it pretty well, and the budget was taken care of without a major crisis. I'm not sure why.

Well, besides being Texas. *hides from pies*

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre, I didn't understand your post. Could you elaborate?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he may be taking shots at farm subsidies and states who don't produce enough industry and/or innovation to cover their operating costs and federal programs. That said, California is blessed with fantastic weather, so I don't mind doing giving out a little more money to the Union.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
I really do think CA was hit the hardest from the dot-com burst. I live in the Silicon Valley, where practically all jobs are in some way technology-related, and we've been hit really hard.
Then there was the whole energy crisis. That didn't help.
New York suffered the most after 9/11 for obvious reasons, but California has suffered too.

Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Vermont was hit worst! We were poor at the top of the dot-com craze and after it we were... more... poor.

Never mind.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Maybe it's just because it's really late...
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anything not the fault of dastardly Republicans?

Sometimes I feel compelled to ask, since rain on picnic day and California's problems are now getting blamed on Republicans.

I mean, come on, if there's a place in the universe that has historically been captained by Democrats, it's California.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.