FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Annie's Christmas tree

Author Topic: Annie's Christmas tree
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my roommate was adventurous and went and chopped down a Christmas tree for us. Someone said it's a Charlie Brown tree, but I love it and am perfectly endeared to it.

Now, we're trying to decorate it without resorting to buying pre-made silly commercial stuff.

So far, it sports:
  • a star on top made of index cards and gold paint
  • 13 paper cranes
  • a Chinese medallion I got for a dollar
  • 4 paper snowflakes
  • 2 pass-along cards for the Nativity video (Mormon missionary propaganda)
  • a Trogdor the Burninator I made out of cardstock and cut out. (Check out all his majesty!)
  • a little crystal angel ornament my roommate got at Disneyworld
  • a plastic rooster keychain
  • a keychain from the Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota
  • a little plastic St. Michael figurine I got at Goodwill
  • a wooden mountainclimber from Switzerland who really climbs his string
I think this tree has the capability of becoming a truly postmoderm masterpiece. Let's make it an interactive adventure. Please contribute whatever you've got to my tree. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You can have my Harry Potter ornaments. I don't want a tree, but you are welcome to use them for the season. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
For such a magnificent tree, I'll lend you my five-inch-tall plush The Brain keychain (like, from Pinky and the Brain).
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to hand make little felt stockings that you could slip a mini candy cane into that were really cute.

She also had from her grandmother a walnut shell that someone had added a little fuzz-ball mouse and blanket to cover him up in his little bed.

You can make ornaments out of play doh or clay. [Smile]
How about gingerbread men?

*should go home and decorate her own tree, but hopes Annie and roommates are enjoying theirs*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

cool! This is going to be a great tree!

*hangs up Harry Potter and the brain*

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
13 paper cranes
987 more and you'll have some really good luck.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang an AOL disc up there. They are shiney, useless, and will make you think of me; exactly like an ornament.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Man, I would hate to waste a perfectly good AOL disk like that. Every time I looked at it, I would say, "Oh man, that's 20,000 free hours I could be using right now!"
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Best use for AOL discs: microwave on high for three seconds.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Gum wrappers could surely contribute to some sort of shiny ornament. Everyone likes shiny stuff.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Take applesauce and add cinnamon until it's the consistency of clay. Then cut out shapes just like cookie dough and add a little hole for a ribbon to hang it. Lay it out somewhere to dry for a day (or stick it in the oven) turn them over to make sure they dry flat. They look really nice in a pioneer kinda way and they smell really good!

oh btw, that's a really good idea using passalong cards as ornaments!

[ December 11, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago my roommates and I decorated our tree with a bunch of magnets we took from their boyfriends' residential college. They had all the important phone numbers one would need to know if one lived at Jones College.

You can have some of those. [Smile]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
add cinnamon
That's a lot of cinnamon!

You can have this little silver 'Computer Bug 2000' insect clip thing I have. It would clip very nicely onto the tree... it would be like those baubles you can buy with the date on, reminding you of the past...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup cinnamon (buy it at the dollar store, you should be able to get 2 cans for 1 dollar)
2 squirts of glue

mix in a ziploc bag
roll out very thin (use cinnamon to keep dough from sticking), cut with cookie cutters and poke hole in top with straw.
You can sprinkle sugar on them to make them sparkle
allow to dry for 3-4 days
string with satin ribbons and hang on tree.

I'll give you the 157 cinnamon ornaments that my class made today for your tree.

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
We also used pumpkin pie spice- it has cinnamnon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and more yummy spices and it smells VERY good!

[ December 11, 2003, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Coccinelle ]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i shall donate two very special ornaments.
the first, is my tiny clear sugar plum fairy ballerina that is far far away in a box in my old house in virginia. at least i hope it is there, i just remembered not being able to find it after last christmas.

the second is my first ornament, which i broke the same year it was given to me. i was four years old and my mother bought me a gorgeous pink frosted glass heart with a white polkadots and a white ribbon. it was bigger than my hand, but so delicate. it shattered into a thousand pieces against our hardwood floors.

there you are, two special ornaments from christmas ornament heaven.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.