FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kitty Litter-- Calling CT

Author Topic: Kitty Litter-- Calling CT
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey CT what kind of kitty litter did you say your cat preferred? I have a couple of pet supply catalogs that are geared mostly towards dogs, but some of them have "gourmet" kitty litter too. I was wondering if it was your brand and if it was lower priced than the stores.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, AJ.

We like Odor Lockers, which is a scoopable clay-coated cedar-cored litter.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ok I'll do a couple of cross checks and get back to you tomorrow. Tonight is reserved for TTTIIEE

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this reminds me, can someone post those pictures of cats using the toilet? They were freaking hi-larious. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2945&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2945&AS=1

this is the stuff that was advertised. It claims to be better than the clay stuff. Ill check a couple of other pet supply companies too.

AJ

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I'm no chemist or anything, but I don't remember silica being particulary absorbent.

Then again, if I want silica, I can just step outside my front door and scoop up some sand.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/ProductInfo.cfm?Item=8250

All of them seem to think silca is the next big thing
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=038DVRL3EEP48NJJRMD6JRX7ETJ5BE S2

Don't know if it is worth trying or not.

AJ

[ November 18, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

silica is different than silicon which is different than silicone. Silicon is sand. The rest are more chemically interesting. I think sillica and silicone may be related because silica is a water absorbing substance that does turn into a gel eventually.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

speaking of toilet training cats... here's the system
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=0&mscssid=038DVRL3EEP48NJJRMD6JRX7ETJ5BES2

BannaOj
Member # 3206

the jeffers pet link isn't working
do a search on the site for "kitty whiz" to see the modified toilet seat cover.

AJ

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Now I know a little bit more...and knowing is half the battle.

Banna, someone posted some pictures of cats using the toilet many moons a go on this forum. I think they were probably the funniest pictures I've ever seen.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh I'm sure they are! I ran across that in my paper catalog recently and did a double take. I wish I could get the link to work!

AJ

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ,

I might regret bringing this up, but as a person who has had both a cat and a dog at the same time in the past, your original message made me do a double take.

See, I learned early with much disgust that I had to place the litter box in a place the dog couldn't get to. As other pet owners have assured me, this is common.

See, dogs seem to just love to raid those boxes - after they've been in use awhile. Made me wonder what is in the kitty litter labeled "gourmet" in a dog-oriented supply catalog. [Angst]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it comes pre-pooped. Maybe the catalog people discovered a way to make money from it instead of just throwing it away. They probably have persian cats or some rare breed. Tabby cat poop would just be for uncouth dogs.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, AJ, the primary component of sand is silicon dioxide -- also known as silica. Fuse it, and get glass. Add sodium oxides to it, and you get a gel which is a great desiccant. It's the stuff in the little packets that come with everything, and say not to eat them. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
::Grumbles:: But I like the taste of gel-like sand...
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Tsk.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

ok I stand corrected... grin... they are related but have fastly different properties. How's that.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

OH and I don't have cats, which is why I've never encountered the canine ingestion issue. But CT and I had an adventure buying kitty litter and some other stuff at the grocery store, which was why I thought of her.

AJ

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, AJ, it was two for one. Who could resist?

(I loves me good litters.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, our company was hired to test a new cat litter. Some poor young engineer fresh out of college got to spend hours a day squirting ammonia or something in various litter mixes to test the clumping action.

For some reason, she didn't find the lumps of clay rolled up like Tootsie Rolls that we left in the litter funny after the 3rd or 4th time. No sense of humor.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What a timely thread! The cat who has adopted us has been spending more and more time inside, now that winter is approaching, and we've been thinking that we should get a cat box and some litter before it gets really cold (she's pretty good about asking to go outside, but I doubt that she'll keep it up once there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground).

Actually, though, I can't shake the suspicion that she has several families that she's adopted; her absences seem to occur with a certain clockwork precision that suggests that we've got her on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday, and some other family has her Tuesday, Thursdays, and Friday. That would match with her personality, actually. When she's in the house, she seems to be very careful to sit on my lap for 20 minutes, then switch to C's lap for 20 minutes, back and forth.

I'd forgotten how great it was having a cat.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.