FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » xbox and ps2 question

Author Topic: xbox and ps2 question
BrianM
Member # 5918

- posted      Profile for BrianM   Email BrianM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here so I hope I am not asking a question that's been asked a lot. I've noticed a lot of you here enjoy the ps2 and the xbox. Since I am not very wealthy I am trying to decide between the two. I have heard the xbox has a better system and I do like the new controller better than the PS2's. however, ps2 and ps1 have all the best games (xbox plays ps2 & ps1's or ps2 plays xbox's). My decision to get either one will now be based on which one is easier to rig up so it plays the other's games. Can anyone help me with this or point me somewhere online to learn more about this please?

[ November 14, 2003, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: BrianM ]

Posts: 369 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"My decision to get either one will now be based on which one is easier to rig up so it plays the other's games."

Um....
Assuming that you aren't going to restrict yourself to buying titles available for both PS2 and XBox, I must say that your best bet is to buy both and tape them together, perhaps calling it the "XPSBox2."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that if you can rig one system to play the other system's games, you can probably also build your own killer robot and destroy Tokyo, which to me makes any video-game-related decision moot.

It really comes down to the "flavor" of game that you like. The PS2 is dominated by Japanese games, and the XBox is dominated by Western games (with a few cross-pollenizations like Ninja Gaiden and Grand Theft Auto). Personally, I would choose on that basis. The XBox's superior hardware is cool, but enjoying the gameplay is what really matters in the end.

But if other factors matter to you, then yes, the XBox is the vastly superior machine. And Sony has a much stronger commitment to backwards-compatibility, which gives them a huge library of games that only gets larger as time goes on.

However, inevitably, most of those games acquired by time will always be dated-looking. It becomes a quality vs quantity issue.

By the way, don't try to hack up your console. Just pay the darn companies for their darn machines. If you must entertain the fantasy that you can do it, then consider this — all cross-platform games must have their specs reduced to fit the much older PS2 hardware. Which means I doubt you could ever get an XBox-only title to run on PS2 hardware, even if everything else were compatible.

[ November 14, 2003, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, what if you want to pay a Japanese company for their latest-and-greatest game so that you can play it at home, but not wait several months for a US release?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you're obsessive, and you should live in Japan.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, just checking. I personally find Japanese completely incomprehensible and have no desire to learn it.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.