FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling About One Job While at Another - What Should I Do??

Author Topic: Calling About One Job While at Another - What Should I Do??
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a new job. And I got a fantastic lead for a position as an elementary school music teacher at one of the districts here. The thing is, I don't have a teaching certificate. I called the HR department over my lunch break (from my car, on my cell) to see what I need to do to be considered for the job despite this (the lady who told me about the job said I should just be able to apply for a preliminary cert. in order to be considered, and go from there). Unfortunately , the lady I needed to talk to was out of the office. She should be back in by now, though.

However.

I'm at work. My lunch break is over (I only get half an hour). My best judgement is telling me that it would be a bad idea to call about this job while I'm at my current job. Am I right? I hate to wait until I get off at 4:30, because I might miss her again. If I do, I can just take a later lunch tomorrow and try then, but I'd really like to get the info as soon as possible.

What should I do? I'm really at a loss.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
be proactive. Do something now. If it is important and a good career move go for it. Just find a nice quiet spot to make the call [Wink]
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

That's part of the problem - my cubicle is right on the main pathway, and both of my bosses are walking around a lot today. It's not like I won't tell them I'm applying - I'd just rather actually tell them myself than have them hear me on the phone.

But I don't want to tell them too soon (like, before I talk to this lady at the school district), in case it turns out there's no way they'll consider me at this point.

Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a "worried I will get caught" thing or a "is this right" thing? My husband got sacked for receiving a fax related to a job search once, so I tend to assume the former. If the latter, given that your company is more likely to hire people who have worked before rather than the unemployed, I don't think there's anything wrong with you using their phone.

A phone in a break room should work if there is such a thing.

[ November 12, 2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

extended pee-pee break?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

Yeah, it's mostly a "would this be inappropriate" kind of a question. We're allowed to use our phones for personal (local) calls, but that doesn't mean it's automatically appropriate to use their phones (and their time) to call about other jobs. It's not really a moral question so much as a best judgement question.
Vána
Member # 3262

And no, I don't think calling from the bathroom is the best idea either! They're small and echo-y - not a good mix with a cell phone. [Smile]
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you get a mid-afternoon "coffee break"?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
Go out to get something you forgot from your car in the parking lot, and make the call as you go. [Smile]

I don't think the idea is unethical or anything.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

seriously, you need to weight the posible outcomes.

You get caught but get the other job - who cares, your leaving, YEA!

You get caught and don't get the other job - possibly lose job, this is doubtful but still possible. You don't lose job but you lose a lot of face in eyes of boss.

you don't get caught - No blood, no foul.

I'm going through the same problem trying to find a new job and it is important that you just weigh all the options and then go with what feels right.

[ November 12, 2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: beatnix19 ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss goes out every 30 minutes for a smoke break, and brings his cell phone with him. Go take a smoke break (even if you don't smoke) and bring your phone. Make the call there.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

I decided to wait. I got kinda busy, and...I don't know. It just seems best to wait a little longer and not be taking a risk. I'll be nervous enough calling anyway. So, I'll give it a shot at 4:30 when I get off, and if that doesn't work, I'll take a later luch tomorrow and try to catch her that way.
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*keeps fingers crossed for Vana*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.