FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is Shaping Recent World Changes?

Author Topic: What is Shaping Recent World Changes?
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
We often read the world will never be the same after September 11. We hear how monumental this event was, how it has changed world history.

Of course, more violent, brutal and horrible slaughters have been carried out around the world in the last decade. Rwanda, Somalia, the Congo, Aceh and Burma have all seen brutal massacres and violent regimes in recent years, among many other places. So was it September 11 that changed everything or what we, the Western world, chose to do in response?

Was September 11, in and of itself, a world changing event or is it that September 11 was a spark that set the West on a particular path?

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
at the risk of being completely disputed, here is how i look at it. 9/11 was monumental for americans and as a result, we're basically perpetuating the shock wave, and it's spreading across the globe through several different channels: the war in iraq, the war on terror, etc.

9/11 raked a vast majority of americans out of blissful oblivion. the government and the country's reaction is continuing to impact the rest of the world.

i don't know if the world is different as a whole. it just seems so because, using your example of rwanda and somalia and so on, americans have more, louder voices. somewhere during the pursuit of freedom, the motto has gone more towards 'to each his own,' but somehow we're still largely made up of die-hard patriots. 9/11 happened to all of us, so the voice of our entire country is being heard as opposed to a small, passionate group.

i hope this is remotely coherent.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think its changed much of anything, other than the focus of news coverage. Now, if 9/11 was the first strike among many strikes within the United States and Europe proper, than I think there could be a case for change. Otherwise, the Middle East is as it has always been; violent and intemperate. The West and Europe is as they always have been; big, powerful, and easy target for rhetoric and stray bombers.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.