FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most creative costume?

Author Topic: Most creative costume?
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the most creative halloween costume you ever wore, or the most creative one you saw?
One year, I think first grade but I'm not sure, I dressed up as a tube of tooth paste, complete with a lampshade for the cap. I had to carry around a cardboard toothbrush. Coincidentally I had a dentist appointment on Halloween that year and since I had to wear my costume to school, I wore it to the dentist as well.

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
One year my son wanted to be a squid. Heaven knows why a little boy would even think to be a squid, but he was insistant. My mom is so creative...she figured out how to make a squid costume out of thin packing foam -- it was even the right color. It was the coolest costume I've seen in a long time.

Of course by Halloween night he decided that being a squid was too weird, and wouldn't wear it. At the last minute we threw together a raccoon costume and took him trick or treating.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the science teachers at my school dressed up as a bride and groom. Her right side wore half a wedding dress and her left side wore a tux. It was the best costume I have ever seen, but apparantly it wasn't the first time other people had seen it.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

When my brother was about three he refused to follow family tradition and wear a pumpkin costume because he said it made him look fat. And my cousin (male) made my mom make him a witch costume and a mermaid costume. Oh, and an elf costume with curly-toed shoes. To be fair he's only my step-cousin, but that whole branch of the family is a little odd.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little I was a box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes for Halloween because it was my favorite cereal. [Big Grin] (The costume was really good though, because my mom was an art major for most of college, and she painted the box.)

This year I wasn't very creative, but I did get to be a pirate (I looked a lot like a female version of Captian Jack Sparrow actually, it was great! [Wink] )

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was too young for older people to get my joke, I wanted to be a calender girl. Quite literally. I had my Mom make me a calender for Halloween. She made me a pink calender out of poster board, and that was the joke.

I was a calender girl.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife is the most creative costumer I know. My children have been a christmas tree, a sandwich, a stop light, a pile of leaves, and a treasure chest; the LEAST creative we've done is a little bee costume we got for when they were tiny things.

But then, Mrs. R and I wore our beekeeping suits, so it worked out cleverly anyway.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
You and your wife have beekeeping suits laying about? How very frightening. Are bees a problem where you live?
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are amateur beekeepers.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a story about how great my mom is:

When I was in kindergarten, I told my Mom I wanted to be a witch for Halloween. She bought me a fake nose, scrounged up a wig, and found an old black fur coat (real fur) of her grandma's that she was going to tuck in so I could wear it. The day before Halloween, I threw a fit because the fake nose was really ugly and I didn't want to be a witch, I wanted to be a kitty cat. So my Mom stayed up all night cutting up the coat and sewing - without a pattern! - a black cat costume for me complete with a hood with ears and a tail.

The best costume she ever put together, though, was for my sister, who was probably 10 at the time. She had a giant stuffed polar bear that she'd gotten for Christmas as a baby, and it was getting old and ratty and my mom said it was time he was thrown out. My sister was very upset and cried when my mom was pulling out his stuffing. So Mom had a brilliant idea - she cut a slit in his mouth and sewed in some dark see-through mesh in the shape of a smile, strapped pillows around my sister, and put her inside the giant polar bear. Everyone who saw her thought it was the greatest costume ever [Smile] I just think I have the best Mom ever.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a girl with an original costume I loved one year. She had taken a galvanized metal washtub and cut out the bottom. Then she put leather straps on it that she wore over her shoulders. She stuffed some stockings with painted toenails and draped them out one side of the tub, then put black skirting material all around the bottom to cover her real legs. Then finally she taped bubble wrap all down in the tub and up over the bra she wore. Then she carried with her a scrub brush. She looked like a girl taking a bubble bath in an old washtub. It was very clever and funny. I was so impressed that she thought that up.

My favorite costume that I ever wore was when I went as the apple faced dude from the Magritte paintings.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw someone dressed as Roy Thursday night.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so great, AK! I love art nerd costumes. I was Frida Kahlo this year, and not too many people got it. They all liked my unibrow, though.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I dressed up as one of my roommates last night. Everyone who knew him recognized it and laughed, and everyone who didn't know him laughed anyway since I was walking around in just a towel and a cowboy hat [Big Grin]

...but the most creative one I saw last night was the Fruit of the Loom logo. [Razz]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
The two (it was a duo) funniest, most creative ones I saw were this year, and inspired by someone who was visiting LSU. Allow me to explain: All the last week of October, a man has been preaching to us in front of the Student Union, contradicting himself and saying blantly wrong things. Example: The Jews--not the Romans--killed Jesus

So, on Halloween, we're in the quad, and these two men start running straight across: One dressed as a Roman soldier, one as Jesus.

"HELP! HELP! THE ROMANS ARE COMMING! THE ROMANS! I'M JESUS!"

"I'M A ROMAN!"

"HE'S GONNA KILL ME! THE ROOOOOOOOOMAAAAAAANS!"

[Laugh] I hear they went by the Union, too...

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

For my step-Mom's Halloween party last week, my fiancee and I constructed (and painted) a hat that was a 110 plug for him out of a box and flaps. I took a larger box, painted it beige, and painted a 220 outlet on it. I cut holes in my box and strung yarn through it so I could wear it aroung my waist hanging kinda like it was held by suspenders.

Everybody who got the joke thought it was hilarious. We went to my step-Mom's party as sexual frustration. [ROFL]

jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I went dressed as a pirate for Halloween, and I was feeling bored with it, because I dressed as a pirate for Talk Like a Pirate Day (Sept. 19th), so I taped a bunch of cds to a mouse cord (with mouse attached) and tied it around my waist.

I was an internet music pirate!

*grmbl*

Well, the cadets thought it was funny...

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
This school year I was a private schooler. My friends know I'm against private schools but I did the whole thing. Instead I was called Britney Spears [Grumble] .

I loved the costume where it looked like a mom with her baby son on top of her. So cool.

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My pastor was King Charles the Martyr. He wore a basket around his neck, a wig, and a burger king crown. He filled the basket with candy so kids had to reach in to get it, then sometimes he would try to bite their hand. [Big Grin] They really freaked out, it was great!
(edit: oh, and he handed out "airheads" and decapitated gummy bears. [ROFL] )
Then someone else was Cranmer, who was burned at the stake. He had a box with flames drawn on it, and roasted marshmallows on it. [Big Grin]

[ November 01, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw someone last night dressed up as a magic 8 ball. He had added velcro to his shirt and carried around triangular signs with sayings like, "Are you kidding!" and "It is certain." He would let each person he met ask him a question then mix up his cards, let you choose a card, then velcro it to himself so you could see the answer. It was very neat.
Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
sometime after i joined the marching band in high school, i convinced my director to let me play bass drum in the halloween parade so that i could go as the energizer bunny. this year i was a waitress. hmmm.

anyway, the coolest costume i saw last night was a guy dressed in ragged pink material with a shoe on his head. he was a wad of gum with a shoe stuck to it.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend, Robyn was Cruella from 101 Dalmations. Like 4 in. heels and bright red. She looked perfect. My world geo teacher was videotaping all of the people that dressed up in costumes yesterday. When we watched them all we were all bursting out laughing cuz some were just odd. There was one teacher, Mrs. Besson, who dressed up as a bee (coincidence).

When she did her bit she bent down and poked Mrs. Russ and said "Look I have a stinger!"

Mrs. Russ immediately grabs her cane and goes "Look I have a cane!" and starts chasing after Mrs. Besson.

Gosh I love that woman. Too bad she's leaving [Cry]

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I wore a freaky Richard Nixon mask and an angel costume, and I called myself an Oxymoron.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My boss was the Chiquita banana lady, complete with fruit basket on her head. She hollowed out the fruit and filled the bananas with foam, though, so it wouldn't kill her neck all day. It was pretty spiffy.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a checkerboard, which was fun. I had a board hung from string from my shoulders and then my mom painted a plastic lid red for a checker hat.

My mom and her friends in highschool were a pack of cards, which I thought was a really cool idea.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I wanted to take a floral print, 400-thread count sheet, cut some eye holes in it and wear it for a ghost costume. The concept was Queer Eye for the Undead Guy. The wife wouldn't let me cut up the good sheets, darnit.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
The best costume I saw this year was a girl dressed up as Roy. She had a stuffed white tiger attached to her neck and blood on her shirt. Wrong on some levels? Yes. Hilarious and creative? Yes.

--ApostleRadio

Edit because I can't type.

[ November 02, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: prolixshore ]

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Once I won a contest dressed as a bunch of grapes...purple balloons, and a felt hat with big felt leaves and some spiraled green chenille stems for tendrils. (ala Fruit of the loom, but my friends didn't go for it.)

The most fun one I ever saw was a six pack of Canadian beer. Six guys in brown leotards with labels and foil and fluted tart pans on their heads, all assembled in a cardboard carrier.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
I was the Stylin' Witch of the East Before the House Fell on Her on year. Wore my senior prom dress with striped stocking and 6-inch red sparkly platforms.

I was stylin'.

This dude I work with and was friends with in high school always comes up with good ones. One year, he was a pimp, another, a woman (god, he looked better than most of us). This year was the best, he dressed up as the cashier's manager Barbara. Hair, makeup, earrings, gestures and all.

She wasn't too pleased.

He won this year's costume contest. [ROFL] I got an honorable mention for my wench costume [Frown] [Cry]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw two Roy's at an adult fund raising party last weekend, complete with tigers and blood.

My friend went as an internet pirate, complete with CD-Eye Patch and a keyboard hanging from his silk sash, but that was a few years ago.

My wife's mother was a very good costume maker. One year she hollowed out a very large pumpkin, and made her youngest, "The Headless Horsman" by having him wear it as a heavy mask. His two oldest sibblings carried it from house to house, then put it on him when they rang the bell. My mother in law kept the stem on the pumpkin, so they could lift it off of him.

This could explain a few things about my brother in law. Are pumpkin fumes damaging?

Best costume on Halloween was from a mother, who decorated herself with working christmas lights. Not only was she interesting to look at, but her kids could find her in the dark as they all went trick-or-treating.

The worst costume of the week came from a young co-worker. She decided to dress up as an "80's Girl" complete with neon green fingerless gloves, painted ponytail, and lace trimmed jean jacket.

She looked nice, but I must object. Anything I lived through can not be a halloween costume!!!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My most memorable costume was the year at the church's harvest festival when the theme was "storybook characters" So who did I decide to be? Lyle, Lyle Crocodile. I made the mask myself from a cardboard box where I looked through the teeth. To do the rest of it Mom came up with using dark green garbage bags for the body and tail. Anyway the headpiece got too awkward so I took it off. No one could figure out my costume, they all figured I was a walking garbage dump. Oh well...

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a party one year where someone dressed up as a palmetto bush. Whenever he stopped and crouched on the ground, you would swear he was a real bush. Of course, by the end of the night, several of the more inebriated party goers decided it would be funny to go behind him to take a leak.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Who's Lyle, Lyle Crocodile?
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother was an angel. It doesn't sound funny until you know the details. He's 19. It was a white spaghetti strap dress. It was really funny to see all that chest hair sticking out of the dress! And a beard to go with it!
[ROFL]
LMAO
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Segerquist
Member # 5877

- posted      Profile for Segerquist   Email Segerquist         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this isn't the most creative costume, but it is really funny. Just walk around with a box of cerial with a sword through it.

Get it...? Cerial killer! It cracks me up. [Smile]

Kaitlyn

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Julie- Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile is from a children's book.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.